Telephone company changes hands
Ray Rooney has sold his local and independent telephone line, operating in Warrensburgh, to the New York Telephone Co. who will take over Sept. 1, 1910. The local system in town was established 13 years ago by George W. Davison. He had about 25 instruments (telephones) on a circuit in the village when he disposed of the business seven years ago to Mr. Rooney. The local line numbers 160 phones at present and the service is satisfactory.
The central office will be located in the Wills' block and in charge will be Miss Ethel Rooney with Miss Jessie Smith as an assistant. Mr. Rooney will move to James Street.
(Note...The "Wills' block" was the stone building, just north of Grace's Tavern on Hudson Street, that was once a livery business. Primitive phone service was launched in the late 1800s in New York City, although centralized service arrived in the 1920s, so 1910 is relatively early for phone communication.)
Intoxicated woman unable to plea
For making a "rough house" at the Warrensburgh home of her brother, William Coe in Lewisville (River St. section), Mrs. William Warner, of Glens Falls, was arrested by Deputy Sheriff Robert Cunningham on Aug. 19, 1910 on complaint of a neighbor and arraigned before Justice George Hodgson. Owing to the muddled condition of her think works, caused by over-indulgence in exhilarating liquids, she was unable to plead to the charge of being drunk and disorderly and the judge sent her to jail for the night, The next day she was given the choice of paying a $10 fine or returning to the county bastille for ten days.
Town team trounces opponents
The Warrensburgh Maplewoods baseball team came within one of handing a goose egg to the Glens Falls Mohawks, o at their game on the local fairground Saturday afternoon, Aug. 20, 1910, trimming them by a scored of 20 to 1. For Warrensburgh, Stewart "Toot" Farrar held the visitors down to two hits.
The boys believe that they are now on a winning streak and next week they will play the South Glens Falls Electrics, who have twice done them up brown. "Toot" says that they are going to do them in this time around even if he has to break a leg to do it. A hot game is promised.
Wedding bells ring for Whittemore, Eggleston
A pretty home wedding was celebrated at the residence of Mrs. Abbie J. Whittemore, Glens Falls, Saturday evening, Aug. 6, 1910, when her granddaughter, Sadie M. Whittemore, was united in marriage with Robert E. Davis of Warrensburgh. The bride was beautifully gowned in blue and was attended by Abbie Whittemore and the best man was John Eggleston, Jr. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. C.E. Hill and about 30 friends and relatives were present. (Note...This information is from the family tree of present day Warrensburgh author, Abbie Hastings.)
Elm beetles attack
The brown curled-up leaves of elm trees in the Hudson Valley from Warrensburgh to Albany show the result of an incursion of elm-leaf beetles. The canker that killed the chestnut trees on Roosevelt's Long Island farm is making ravages on Staten Island and elsewhere. This pest has become exceedingly abundant in several villages. A stately elm fronting the residence of George T. Lockwood, on Elm Street in Warrensburgh, is showing a dried brown foliage and many of the affected leaves are beginning to fall. A small elm in front of the Adirondack Hotel (now Rite Aid) is also showing signs of being infected. The beauty of elms and chestnuts can ill be spared from the American landscape. Our forests are disappearing rapidly.
(Note...Warrensburgh was once known for shaded streets lined with beautiful spreading elm trees, but the Dutch elm disease put an end to all that. Thanks to Warrensburgh Historical Society president Paul Gilchrist and Cemetery Custodian Peter Haggerty, we are again seeing elm trees growing in our town that have been bred to be disease resistant.)
Unearthed bones yield unexplained mystery
While excavating for a two-story building in the rear of Russell & Wait's store on Glen Street, Glens Falls, workmen unearthed human bones and teeth and a tombstone bearing what appeared like the inscription, "Wife of John Walsh. Born 1824. Died 1850."
Mystery surrounds the finding of the remains. It was first believed that the place might have been the site of an old burying ground, but old local residents say that there was never a cemetery there. In 1850 there was a wooden building on the site, but no one can recall a family of the name of Walsh living near there.
The Goose Girl, the latest romance from the pen of fascinating writer Harold McGroth, will be published in serial form starting soon in the Warrensburgh News. The story is a thriller.
The body of John DeLarm, 24, of Morrisville, Vt., who drowned in Long Lake, has been recovered after being missing for 24 hours. Four people were changing seats in a rowboat when the vessel capsized.
Arthur L. Soper has purchased a team of fast roadster horses from William G. Leland, of Glens Falls. The horses are named Wang and Zaza.
(Note...Arthur Soper, grandfather of the late Kathryn Maltbie, was superintendent of the Warren County Home in Warrensburgh for many years.)
A sneak thief entered William L. Smith's candy store in Lewisville one day recently while Mr. Smith was at supper and stole about $8 in change from the cash drawer.
George Maxim has moved from Cat's Corners to Stony Creek. (Note: Sometimes spelled with a "K", this is the area on the immediate Warrensburgh end of the Thurman bridge.)
Hial Hall has moved his family from Burnhamville to Charles Smith's farm on High St., Thurman. Ernest Pratt, of Riverbank, has returned to his position on the steamer Sagamore on Lake George.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.