Restitution came too late
After lying helpless for eight years with a broken back, Thomas Maloney, 49, died at the home of Mrs. Elizabeth Bowler in Glens Falls. Mr. Maloney was employed as a teamster by the Hudson River Water Power Co. during the construction of the company's power house and dam at Spier Falls. He fell off his wagon and his back was broken.
The company agreed to provide for him for the rest of his life, but after three years refused to continue to do so. A verdict of $10,000 he received last spring in state Supreme court against the company for the injuries is pending in the appellate division. He is survived by a widow, one son and three daughters.
Elevator crashed, bones smashed
John Wright was painfully injured Aug. 16, 1910, in the Hadley mill by the falling of an elevator. Both ankles were dislocated and the right heel crushed. The injured man is now resting comfortably and his physician thinks he might fully recover. Wright has been employed at the mill for several years and is a valued employee.
Big storm leaves great damage
The Rev. Stewart Fuller's barn and contents at Riverbank were burned during the thunderstorm the evening of Aug. 14, 1910. He had just put a new roof on the structure.
Lightning struck Timothy Hurley's house in Warrensburgh and in Senator Jim Emerson's barn, knocked a horse over and killed Louis Albert Emerson's dog, Jack up in the hay loft.
Mrs. Adella Dodge's house in Lewisville (River Street, Warrensburgh) was struck, also a tree in W.L. Smith's door yard. A barn on the Simeon Hall farm in North Caldwell, owned by A.C. Emerson & Co., was burned with 20 tons of hay. A barn on the Stewart Fuller place in West Bolton was burned with seven tons of hay. The next day, Aug. 15, 1910, hail, the size of large peas, fell on Bakers Mills and Sodom.
Lake George news
Rapid progress has been made by contractor R.M. Booth in the construction of the new Fort William Henry Hotel, at the head of Lake George. Excavations have been completed and the laying of the concrete foundation walls is also accomplished. Contractor Booth intends to enclose the building before winter and will be able to do interior wood work during cold weather to be ready for occupancy next season.
In another matter, about 100 Italians employed on the construction of the state road at Lake George, went on strike Aug. 17, 1910 because they claimed they had not been paid in six weeks. They returned to work the next day after a satisfactory explanation of the delay was made to them.
William Woodward dies at his home
William F. Woodward, 63, died early Tuesday morning, Aug. 16, 1910 of brain fever. He had been a sufferer for weeks with what he supposed to be neuralgia and was unable to find relief.
He was the son of Francis and Harriet Beswick Woodward and after the death of his father, who was killed by the attack of a furious bull, he owned and continued to live on the original Woodward homestead just north of the Warrensburgh-Chester toll gate. He was married in 1885 to Mrs. Melvina F. Shaw of Warrensburgh, who survives him.
Woodward was employed as a carpenter and was engaged principally in moving buildings.
(Note...The old Woodward homestead is still standing today in Pack Forest.)
A top dressing of coal tar and stone dust is being laid on the state road at Hill View (Diamond Point).
The hunters are getting ready to go into the forests after deer. That kind of game will not be too tame after the hunting season starts.
A.W. Lanfear of Warrensburgh is seeking a middle-aged woman to keep house for him on his small farm for reasonable wages.
Mr. Collins of New York, who has a summer place, the Hermitage, at Brant Lake, lost a very valuable colt Aug. 20, 1910 of pneumonia. It was said to have been worth $10,000. Mr. Collins has a fortune invested in fine race horses.
Clayton Weller of Riverbank lost one of his span of black colts. The animal had spinal meningitis.
Jordan R. Waddell is building a new roof on his barn in Johnsburgh. Earl M. Waddell has gone to work at the William Waddell farm in Wevertown. Inez, the little daughter of Bert Bateman, broke her leg and Dr. J.L. Fuller of North Creek attended her.
Clifford Johnson of Adirondack, who stepped on a nail and was confined to his house for a few days, is able to be out again.
A son was born Aug. 15, 1910 in Johnsburgh to Mr. and Mrs. Howard Thomas. A daughter, Clara Matilda, was born Aug. 15, 1910 in Newcomb to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Morrisey. A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Ingraham on Aug. 20, 1910 in North Thurman.
The remains of Joseph LaRose, which were temporarily interred at North Creek, were brought to Johnsburgh Corners and placed beside his first wife who died in 1853.
James F. Oliver, 66, died Aug. 8, 1910 at Schroon Lake. James W. Galusha, 65, of South Johnsburgh died Aug. 18, 1910. A widow and two sons, Clifford and Herbert, with whom he resided, survive.
Mrs. Augustus Jones, of East Thurman, who fell while in the cellar of her home after a two-gallon crock of cream dropped and broke, thereby terribly cutting and bruising her face, is now much better.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210