Damage from the tempest
The severe storm occurring Aug. 4, 1910 burned out coils in the Warrensburgh Electric Light Plant. Lamps and candles were in demand for several nights in consequence and the lights came back on Sunday evening in Warrensburgh. Hailstones almost completely destroyed crops on some farms on the outskirts of town, Bolts of lightning played havoc in the area.
Emerson Lloyd's house in Bolton Landing was badly damaged by lightning. Plaster was torn from the walls, a considerable amount of furniture was smashed and a couch was set afire. The house of Elijah Pratt, up the river was struck by lightning.
At the Sagamore Hotel, several large trees on the hotel grounds were blown down and the tanbark that covers all the walks about the hotel were washed away.
Lightning struck John Bibby's house at North Creek and Mrs. Bibby sustained a severe shock. A door casing was splintered and the telephone was burned out. The barns at the William Waddell farm in Wevertown were struck and nearly all the contents were destroyed. The loss was about $8,000 and there was no insurance.
Griffing family reunion
As has been his custom for several seasons, Henry Griffing again this year is entertaining, his nearest of kin, the descendants of Nathaniel and Susan Boyd Griffing, at the old homestead near Thurman station.
Griffing spends as much time as possible with his kin at his childhood home and the memory of early scenes has greatly endeared the place to him over the passing years.
(Note: Stephen and Elizabeth Uhl Griffing settled in Thurman in 1800 and they had ten children, one of which was Nathaniel Griffing. Stephen fought in the Revolutionary War for five years. Their grandson, Stephen II, married Maria Coman in 1838 and they ran the Adiorondack Hotel where Rite Aid is now for eight and a half years before Stephen became active in the lumber business. Their home was where Grace's Restaurant is now located in the heart of Warrensburgh. Grace Magee was Stephen's granddaughter.)
Lost little girl remembered
Dr. B.J. Zudzense, 59, died Aug. 2, 1910 at his home in Sparta, Mich. of heart trouble. His wife, who died about three years ago, was formerly Miss Alvira Dean, a daughter of Alexander Dean, who moved to Michigan from Stony Creek after the mysterious disappearance of their six-year-old daughter, Lucy Dean, who was lost in the woods and of whom no trace was ever found.
(Note: When Lucy Dean walked into the woods near her home and vanished, she became an Adirondack legend. The late Edythe Dean Haskell, whose beautiful home is now the Stony Creek Museum, spoke about the story often.)
Assembly Point hotel planned
Rumor has it that plans are being made by Dr. D.S. Sanford of Brooklyn and Lake George, to rebuild the hotel on Assembly Point, which burned about 20 years ago. Sanford owns the greater part of Assembly Point and nearby Long Island. A vast area would be improved if the hotel is built and the scheme for developing the grounds is carried out.
Reportedly, Sanford has been offered $100,000 for Long Island. This is the largest island in Lake George and is situated about three miles from the head of the lake.
A long journey through time
In August 1910, a four-year-old named Carmela lived with her parents, Paolina Casavola and Cataldo Areostatico in Taranto, Italy. Years later she became the wife of Paul Pasqualicchio and raised a family. They lived in Brooklyn Heights and owned a farmhouse in Stony Creek where she spent more than 80 summers.
Carmela died in her home on June 21, 2010. She was 104 years old and is buried in the Knowelhurst Cemetery, Stony Creek. Her life was undoubtedly a remarkable journey!
Clarence Brown of Athol has a sick horse. Samuel Balcom of Johnsburgh broke one of his ribs. Melvin Barton's little dog Buster, of Hague, was picked up and choked to death by a large shepherd dog.
A daughter was born July 30, 1910 to Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Young, who recently moved into the Godfrey Watson house on Main St. in Warrensburgh. (Note...The Watson house is now the Alexander Funeral Home.)
Julius McKinstry of Adirondack is working with his team of horses on the road around Brant Lake. Charles Waddell of Wevertown has gone to Cedar Lake to oversee work in the lumber camp.
Benjamin Millington of Bakers Mills is at The Glen cutting hay on the Trisslen place which he bought of E. and W. Moston of Wevertown.
L.W. Brooks finished peeling hemlock bark Aug. 1, 1910 on his job near Seymour Steven's place at Knowelhurst.
John Russell, South Horicon blacksmith, has bought the Bradford Hayes place from Arthur Perry and will move in soon.
World news: celebrity couple flees after murder
Dr. Hawley Harvey Crippen, suspected of having murdered his wife, Belle Elmore, a vaudeville actress, in London and Miss Ethel le Neve, the woman who had fled with him, disguised as a boy aboard the steamship Montrose, were arrested at Father Point, Canada and jailed at Quebec.
Crippen and the woman fled from London just before Belle Elmore's body was found in the cellar of Crippen's London house where it had been buried. Miss le Neve, wearing a suit of boy's clothing, represented herself as Crippen's son.
(Note...Famous in the annals of crime, this case has been depicted on television several times in recent years. In 1910, Crippen, 42, was hanged in London.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.