Lake George Club founder falls from rafters
Charles S. Peabody was severely injured the morning of Sept. 5, 1910, by falling from the rafters at the Lake George Club, where he was assisting in arranging decorations. He fell about 25 feet to the hardwood floor, landing on his head
In his descent, he struck the gallery railing which broke the full force of his fall, which doctors agree would have under other conditions have resulted in his death. He was picked up unconscious and taken to the Hotel Marion.
(Note: Charles Samuel Peabody, the son of Lake George millionaire Royal C. Peabody, was the architect and a Founder-Member of the famed Lake George Club on the lakeshore near Diamond Point. His favorite uncle, George Foster Peabody, always called him "Carlos."
Charles also designed his father's mansion, "Wikiosco." or "home of beautiful waters," on Millionaires' Row, which many years later was owned by Charles R. Wood and was eventually renamed as "Blenheim on the Lake.")
Local fair presents novel airship
The Pottersville Fair, set to commence on Sept. 20, 1910, will present the great Aeroplane flight, the first airship to ever be seen in this part of the country. A big crowd is expected every day to see this special attraction.
Mail-order bride murdered
Two years ago, G. Frank Hewey, a wealthy farmer near Weatherfield, Vt., married a woman who came into these parts as a result of a matrimonial advertisement he placed in a western publication. On Aug. 23, 1910 he killed her and the horse she drove and than ended his own life.
Mrs. Hewey was found dead sitting upright in her carriage with a bullet through her heart on Branch Rd. in Perkinsville in a lonely section of the town. A party of automobilists had been trying for some time to get by and finally in disgust they got out and looked into the carriage. There they found Mrs. Hewey dead. The horse had been shot through the heart.
A little further down the road they found the body of Hewey with a rifle close by. He had a wound in his breast.
Mother Nature provides
Bert Bateman and Wesley Morehouse of Sodom, were getting out stone for the foundation of a house, when they found a lot of eggs in a crack of a large rock. Upon breaking the eggs they found in each one a small snake with a white ring around its neck. Upon examination, each ring was found to contain a quantity of milk, varying from a few drops to half a teaspoonful, supposedly for purposes of nourishment.
Struggle for power
Adirondack squatters, rich and poor alike, are to be bodily evicted from state land this fall of 1910 and their camps and dwellings torn down, according to state Forest, Fish and Game Commissioner James S. Whipple, in Albany.
He has instructed his subordinates to tear down all the buildings which will include summer hotels and numerous expensive bungalows of New York millionaires. The rich camp squatters can fight the state and stave off action for years to come and the attorney's fees will not amount to any more than camp rental which is something that the poor squatters can not do. (Note...In the last 100 years, attorneys have been known to raise their rates!)
Sam Pasco seeks justice?
An investigation into the shooting of Alvin "Sam" Pasco,of Thurman was conducted Sept. 8, 1910 at Justice Hodgson's office in Warrensburgh. Pasco was shot in the leg early morning June 27, 1910 in the Frost district in Thurman.
At the time of the shooting, Pasco's alleged that Ransom Wilsey, a neighbor, was the person that shot him and a charge was brought against Wilsey and he was released on his own recognizance. Wilsey strongly denies the allegation.
The hearing was concluded on Sept. 9, 1910 and Ransom Wilsey was held for the Grand Jury on a charge of assault in the third degree. (Note: The complete story of this shooting appeared in June 12, 2010 Adirondack Journal.)
Wedding bells heard in region
William H. Rist and Mrs. Sarah E. Bennett, both of Warrensburgh, were married Aug. 24, 1910 in Lewisville (River St.), at the residence of Godfrey Hewitt by the Rev. Richard Abbott at 7 a.m. An elaborate wedding breakfast was served soon after with the tables fairly groaning with good things to eat. The couple will take up residence in Warrensburgh.
Bert Dutcher and Mrs. Sarah Robbins, both of Adirondack, were united in marriage Sept. 3, 1910, at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage, Horicon, by the Rev. J.J. Davison.
Courtney Tatro and Miss Bertha Wheeler, both of Bakers Mills, were married Sept. 7, 1910 at the home of the bride's parents by the Rev. Arthur Baker of the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
John A. Kenyon and Miss Margaret Burdick, both of Thurman, were married at "The Maples," in Athol, on Sunday, Sept. 10, 1910 by the Rev. E.H. Hovey, pastor of the Thurman Baptist Church.
The first frost of the season visited this area Sept. 10, 1910, but fortunately it did little to harm local gardens.
There is a fine outlook for partridges and other game birds this fall in all sections of the Adirondacks.
Condemnation proceedings have begun on the property of H.F. Stanley at Riverside, for land in order to construct the Riverside-Wevertown state highway.
The road from Igerna to North Creek is open to travel as the bridges are completed. Cooper & Smith of Igerna have threshed the oats of James H. Wells and Emmett Raymond, the latter of which has purchased a horse in Chestertown.
Stewart Fuller of West Bolton, has bought a barn from E.E. Ross of Brant Lake. The barn is near Lorenzo Tripps, on the east side of the river.
Harvey Monroe, of Wevertown, with a company of men has gone to Stratten Hill, where he has a contract to cut and pile logs.
Charles E. Wheeler has purchased the lot and unfinished house of Ira Wilsey on Third St., Warrensburgh for $2,500.
Sheriff Thomas J. Smith's automobile was damaged in a collision on the Lake George Road and was repaired at the Miller Brothers' Garage in Glens Falls.
John H. Wade has a foundation built for another new house of Circle Avenue, North Creek.
Henry Ashe is driving a fine span of black mares, sisters, three and four years old. They are easy steppers and make a conspicuous appearance on the street. (Note...Henry Ashe owned what is now Ashe's Hotel on Hudson St.)
Dr. Cyrus S. Merrill and daughter, Miss Grace Merrill of Albany, were in Warrensburgh Sept. 11, 1910 with the doctor's nephew, Judge Carl Merrill and family of Glens Falls. Doctor and Miss Merrill have just returned from a ten-month trip around the world. The party dined at the Warren House. (Note: The Merrill's summer home in Warrensburgh is now Grace's Restaurant. The Warren House stood where Stewart's convenience store is presently located.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210