'Monster' derrick breaks man's bones
Daniel Ray, employed as a carpenter on the construction of the new Fort William Henry Hotel in Lake George Village, was seriously injured Sept. 23, 1910 when a cable attached to a monster derrick snapped. That several others were not hurt is considered remarkable as a dozen men were compelled to make a wild scramble to a place of safety. When the cable parted, the great iron rope swung through the air and as it fell, carried Ray to the ground with much violence.
Ray's left leg was broken above the knee and he was mightily cut, bruised and shaken. A warning was shouted but Ray was not able to get out of range in time.
Woman suffers fiery death
Mrs. Robert Hamilton of Greenwich was fatally burned Sunday afternoon while making a fire. She used kerosene to start the blaze and the flames leaped to the can and to her clothing. She was frightfully burned and died Monday morning, Sept. 26, 1910 at about 1 p.m..
She is survived by her husband, two daughters and a son, Rev. Charles E. Hamilton, a Methodist minister at Hagaman, who was formerly stationed at Hill View (Diamond Point).
Boy shot, could prove fatal
Carroll Day, the 12 year-old-son of A.W. Day of Greenwich who has been living with Bert Hall two miles from Warrensburgh, accidentally discharged a revolver Sept. 25, 1910. The ball lodged in his stomach and it is possible that he may die.
Souvenirs collected by tourists
Workmen in the employ of C.J. Reardon of Glens Falls, who has the contract to build the state road through the village of Lake George, unearthed three more skeletons Sept. 24, 1910 in the road near the Fort William Henry Park, which are believed to be those of Indians. Nine skeletons have been unearthed in the vicinity during the last few years.
The bones found Saturday were given to an automobile party which happened along when they were found. In one skull was found two teeth in perfect condition.
(Note...If anyone finds human bones and teeth packed away in their deceased grandmother's attic, they should not fear the worst but should consider this story when attempting to identify the remains.)
News from Stony Creek and vicinity
Arthur Codner of Knowelhurst has bought a new thresher and separator and is threshing grain in this area. Dudley Austin and a party of seven killed a bear and an extra-fine buck weighing 230 pounds.
John Gill drove one of his moving vans into Stony Creek Sept. 27, 1910 with Lemuel Dean's household goods. Mr. Dean has bought F.L. Knowlton's store and residence and expects to be doing business soon.
(Note...The building on Harrisburgh Road was originally the home and business of C.H. Gill and later that of F.L. Knowlton who became postmaster in 1894 and in 1897 placed a street lamp in front of his store. In 1905 he installed a pump in his well to which he attached 70 feet of hose to lay the choking dust in the street. Lemuel Dean bought the building in 1910 and in 1914 he had a horse shed built near his store for to accommodate his customers. History moved slowly in Stony Creek in those days. In more modern times this much remodeled building was called Briner's store.)
Happenings in North Creek
Brailey & Noxon are building an addition onto their store. In other news, Arthur Holcomb, while coasting down a hill on his bicycle, was headed off by an intoxicated man who pulled his horse across the sidewalk so that it threw young Holcomb from his wheel. The result was a broken bone in his left shoulder and Dr. Brush reduced the fracture.
Big auction held in Adirondack
All the furniture and equipment of the Watch Rock Hotel of Adirondack, including one steam launch, wagons, harness, etc., formerly owned by George Cecil, proprietor, were sold at auction on Sept. 22, 1910. Most of the property was bid on by Fred Vetter and W.W. Bowyer of Chestertown, who hold the mortgages. The house and grounds are owned by Mrs. C.H. VanBrunt of New York.
Mrs. Hiram E. Heyworth of Peru in Clinton County was instantly killed Sept. 8, 1910, when the automobile in which she was riding ran into a train on a crossing four miles from Plattsburgh.
Frank Burdick, 28, died Sept. 23, 1910 of consumption at his home on Burdick Avenue in Warrensburgh. Officiating at the funeral were the Rev. W.E. Perry and the Rev. S.C. Fox and burial was at the Cameron burying ground, Athol.
The barn of C.P. Coyle, at Chestertown, was burned the night of Sept. 22, 1910 and was a total loss. The firemen worked hard to save the house.
On Sunday Sept. 18, 1910, Lewis Washburn of Garnet and Miss Hattie Cleveland of North River were married.
A.H. Johnson, who lives on Lower Main St. in Warrensburgh, manufactures birch-bark canoes for the wholesale trade in various kinds and sizes up to 18 feet long, and he has no problem at all in selling them.
On the Pasco Brothers proprieties at The Glen there is extra good deer hunting and they will furnish sportsmen with competent guides there for $1 a day
Joseph LaFlure of Chestertown sold his gray horse to a Warrensburgh horse dealer recently. "Uncle Joe" is always ready for a trade of any kind. It is rumored that George May is going to see him about trading for his mule colt when it gets a little larger.
Thought for the day...The theory that people eat too much has often been exploited but never proved. Perhaps some of them would if they had the chance, but a benign protective economy safeguards them. (Not so today!)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.