Home to die in his mother's arms
J. Stewart Russell, 37, of Troy, died Aug. 28, 1910 in Warrensburgh at the summer home of his mother, Mrs. John L. (Mary) Russell, after an illness of only 48 hours. He had arrived in town at the conclusion of his summer vacation in seemingly good health and fine spirits, but suffered a sudden attack of acute Bright's (kidney) disease which proved fatal in only a few hours.
Russell, a graduate of Williams College, had studied law in the office of King & King in Troy and in 1898 was admitted to the bar. At the time of his death he was a partner in the firm of Jones & Russell.
Burial was in the family plot in the Warrensburgh Cemetery near his brother, Marcus D. Russell, 32, who in 1898 was the second soldier to die in the Spanish American War with Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders, in Cuba.
A large delegation from Troy made a trip to the funeral in a chartered railroad car. The group was served dinner at the Grand Army House (now the site of John Henry's tavern).
(Note: Captain John Luce Russell, a native of Warrensburgh, in 1865 built the Bonnie Brae Villa, a grand mansion, around a small standing house at the base of the mountain, behind what is today the Warrensburgh Post Office. It burned in 1980 under suspicious circumstances.)
Toddler has brush with death
Some strychnine tablets, prescribed for Mrs. William McLaren of Lewisville (River St.) nearly caused the death of the woman's little granddaughter, Irene, the one-year-old baby of Walter McLaren.
The baby was taking a nap and the tablets were lying on a dresser near her bed and she was later found playing with them thinking they were candy. She was taken with convulsions. Three doctors were called and Dr. Griffin arrived first with an emetic and stomach pump to dislodge the deadly dose. Dr. Goodman and Dr. Cunningham arrived soon after and a hard battle was fought to save the baby's life. She was later sent to convalesce at her grandmother's home on Harrington Hill. Irene is the granddaughter of Alfred C. Stone.
Runaway at Riverside
A team of horses owned by Charles Russell of Pottersville was left standing at Riverside on the night of Sept. 5, 1910, while Russell was assisting in loading a trunk into his wagon at Joseph LaPrairie's. He had released the reins when the horses started suddenly, ran through an orchard on to the railway, thence up the track and finally landed over an embankment. The wagon was smashed and one of the horses had a leg broken in two places and had to be shot. All who know Mr. Russell regret the loss he has suffered.
Post Office robbed
Burglars entered the Post Office on Maple Street in Corinth early on Sept. 13, 1910, blew open the safe with nitroglycerin and after securing about $300 worth of stamps and $100 in cash, they went down the main highway about a mile, stopped at the farm of Henry Clothier and helped themselves to his horse and wagon. Then they continued down the road and left the outfit just outside the village of Saratoga Springs, where it was found at daylight. It is believed that the thieves boarded a train and are now hundreds of miles away.
George J. Bump of Glens Falls and Miss Leota Duell of Warrensburgh were married Saturday morning, July 30, 1910 by the Rev. L.T. Cole at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage in Chestertown.
Alfred Tucker and Seneath Maxim, both of Stony Creek, were married at their home in Dartmouth on Aug. 17, 1910 by the Rev. C.H. Mead, paster of the Stony Creek Methodist Episcopal Church.
A quiet wedding took place Saturday evening, Aug. 20, 1910, when A.F. VanDusen and Mrs. Julia A. Glassbrook were united in marriage at the home of the bride in Knowelhurst, near Stony Creek, by the Rev. Frank M. LaBar of Minerva.
The Delaware and Hudson Co. ran a special train from the Warrensburgh station to Riverside Aug. 21, 1910 for the accommodation of people in the locality who wished to attend the Riverside religious camp meeting on that day.
The Pottersville Fair, which was discontinued a few years ago, will be back again this year on Sept. 20 through 23, 1910 and on the week following it will come to Warrensburgh.
The shirt factory shut down Sept. 13, 1910 for the remainder of the week to give the employees an opportunity to attend the fair.
G.M. Wells of Johnsburgh Corners is training a fine four-year-old colt to drive, but with some difficulty. Alonzo Fosmer of Chestertown lost a fine horse. W.C. Johnson is threshing grain at the Meadowbrook Farm for G.H. Ingraham.
Milford Kathan of Sodom, has chicken pox. Mrs. Milon U. Brown underwent an operation on Aug. 12, 1910 for a strangulated hernia at Glens Falls Hospital.
Miss Ethel Prouty is teaching at the Rock Schoolhouse near Riverbank. Luther Graves will again instruct the children of his home district at Pottertown this coming term. He is a graduate of the Warrensburgh school class of 1909.
D.E. Pasco has installed an engine in his new grist mill in Warrensburgh and expects to begin grinding grain in about three weeks.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.