SARANAC LAKE - On Sunday, July 12 at 1 p.m., there will be a public re-dedication of the Jewish section of Saranac Lake's Pine Ridge Cemetery. The re-dedication is in response to a recent act of vandalism which resulted in toppled headstones and other damage to this historic cemetery.
Rabbi Alec Friedmann, in announcing the re-dedication, expressed his appreciation of the many members of the public as well as area clergy who spoke in support of tolerance following the vandalism which occurred over the Memorial Day weekend.
What happened in the Jewish section of the Pine Ridge Cemetery was an offense to the cemetery as a whole and to the entire community of Saranac Lake, according to Rabbi Friedmann.
"Saranac Lake has always been strengthened by its inclusiveness of people with diverse ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds," he said. "We believe this re-dedication will be an important opportunity to celebrate that most American of concepts, unity through diversity."
The public is welcome to attend this brief ceremony. The historic Pine Ridge Cemetery is located between River Street and Pine Street in the village of Saranac Lake. It is situated on what used to be the Moody family farm, the village's first settlement. The first known burial on the site was of Sally B. Moody in 1852. The first burials in the Jewish section of the cemetery were in 1915. That section was formally dedicated in 1919.
The Lake Placid Synagogue is the only fully functioning synagogue in the Adirondack Park.