WEST HAVEN - Continuing his domination of the Champlain Valley Racing Association, Joe Williams made his way to victory lane in convincing fashion Sunday in the 50-lap NASCAR modified feature, sponsored by People's United Bank, at Devil's Bowl Speedway.
Taking advantage of his second place starting spot, Williams took over first place by lap two and began to run away from the field.
After a green flag race for 45 laps, a yellow with five to go for Hunter Bates (flat tire) saw Williams on point for the restart, followed by Ron Proctor and Alex Bell. Proctor had been gradually reeling in Williams after patiently getting by Don Miller and Bell. He wasn't able to overtake the lead, but finished in second with a great run. Bell nipped Miller at the line for third, Miller was fourth, and Bobby Hackel fifth.
Chris Wilk of Rutland started the season in victory lane after leading Dan Petronis and Hunter Bates to the finish in the pro late model feature. Petronis closed late but could have used another lap or two, with a final gap of only half a second between him and Wilk.
Bill Dupree notched his second win in a row in the Renegades. Bruce Carmen won the Atlantic Coast Old Timers feature, John Dipietro came out on top in the STAR Antique Racers Sportsmen feature, and James Ferland took home the trophy in the STAR Modified division.
All divisions will be in action on Sunday, June 5, with the pro late models scheduled for a 50-lap feature.
MODIFIEDS: JOE WILLIAMS, Ron Proctor, Alex Bell, Don Miller, Bobby Hackel, Kevin Wright, Hunter Bates, Michael Bush, Billy Mueller, Jessey Mueller, Joey Trudeau, Dave Snow, Frank Hoard III.
PRO LATE MODELS: CHRIS WILK, Dan Petronis II, Hunter Bates, Kevin Elliot, David Emigh, Kayla Bryant.
RENEGADES: BILL DUPREE, Jeremy Jones, Frank Monroe, Jonathan Hayes.
Spring Green 111
ACT Late Model Tour
1. (11) Brian Hoar, Williston, 111 Laps
2. (13) John Donahue, Graniteville, 111 Laps
3. (9) Todd Davis, Claremont, N.H., 111 Laps
4. (7) Glen Luce, Turner, Maine, 111 Laps
5. (27) Ben Ashline, Pittston, Maine, 111 Laps
6. (1) Brad Babb, Windham, Maine, 111 Laps
7. (2) Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, 111 Laps
8. (6) Craig Bushey, Fairfax, 111 Laps
9. (15) Randy Potter, Groveton, N.H., 111 Laps
10. (20) Quinten Welch, Lancaster, N.H., 111 Laps
11. (5) Brent Dragon, Milton, 111 Laps
12. (12) Joey Becker, Jeffersonville, 111 Laps
13. (16) Mark Lamberton, Mooers Forks, N.Y., 111 Laps
14. (21) Pete Yetman, Peru, Mass., 111 Laps
15. (3) Ricky Rolfe, Albany Twp., Maine, 111 Laps
16. (28) Dave Farrington, Jr., Jay, Maine, 111 Laps
17. (31) Rick Thompson, Jr., Derby, 110 Laps
18. (24) Tom Carey, Jr., New Salem, Mass., 110 Laps
19. (23) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, N.H., 107 Laps
20. (32) Rowland Robinson, Jr., Birch Harbor, Maine, 106 Laps
21. (30) Jeffrey Labrecque, Jr., Rochester, N.H., 94 Laps
22. (29) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, N.H., 93 Laps
23. (14) Ray Parent, Tiverton, R.I., 89 Laps
24. (8) Chip Grenier, Graniteville, 86 Laps
25. (4) Austin Theriault, Fort Kent, Maine, 83 Laps
26. (18) Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton,83 Laps
27. (17) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, N.H., 79 Laps
28. (10) Joey Laquerre, East Montpelier, 52 Laps
29. (22) Eric Williams, Hyde Park, 9 Laps
30. (26) Dennis Spencer, Jr., Oxford, Maine, 9 Laps
31. (25) Scott MacMichael, Newbury, N.H., 9 Laps 32. (19) Jacob McGrath, North Clarendon, 9 Laps
Time of Race: 1:40:29
Margin of Victory: 1.429 seconds
Cautions: 14 (Laps 1, 2, 9, 29, 31, 35, 39, 40, 64, 79, 83, 86, 89, 94)
Leaders: Jamie Fisher, 1-2; Brad Babb, 3-6; Craig Bushey, 7-18; Ricky Rolfe, 19-25; Bushey, 26-31; Jamie Fisher, 32-35; Bushey, 36-53; Brian Hoar, 54; Bushey, 55-58; Hoar, 59-65; Bushey, 66-74; Hoar, 75-111.