One Hundred Years Ago – July, 1914
Boy survives accident, dies from treatment
J. Howard Byrnes, 22, the young telegraph operator of North Creek, who was injured in a motor cycle accident on the state road near that place on June 14, 1914, died Sunday night, June 21, 1914 in Saratoga Hospital, where he was taken on a special train immediately after the accident. His injuries, though very serious, were not necessarily fatal and death was caused by pneumonia resulting from the effects of ether. Had the young man lived, he would have been a cripple.
The motorcycle was owned and driven by station agent Mr. Ochs and at the time of the accident Byrnes was riding on the rear seat. Ochs turned out to pass a heavy motor truck loaded with iron ore and he did not clear it. When the crash came Byrnes was thrown under the wheels of the truck which ran over his right leg, splitting the bone from the knee to the hip and his back was injured. Ochs went over the handle bars and sustained severe injuries.
The deceased was a son of the late James Byrnes, of Thurman, and he was related to the Camerons and other prominent families of the town. His father died when he was a young boy leaving him with his mother, Mrs. Sarah Byrnes. Gifted with a happy disposition and industrious habits, he was a great comfort and help to his widowed mother. He had been married for four years and is survived by his widow, the former Miss Marjorie Smith of Chestertown. Mrs. Byrnes lived with the happy couple and their home was a heaven of happiness.
The funeral was held from the home of Byrnes’ uncle, William Walsh, in Thurman.
Dark night, no light, much plight
Elmer Dalrymple, of Lake George, while driving through that village about 10 o’clock Sunday night, June 21, 1914, carrying no light, was run down by an automobile. His carriage was demolished and the horse broke loose and was captured only after a long chase by the automobile. Mr. Dalrymple was thrown to the grass at the side of the road, but was not injured.
The occupants of the car left without giving their names. No action can be brought against them as Dalrymple was at fault for not displaying a light as required by state law.
In other news, a large Buick car owned by Glens Falls people, who also refused to make known their names, was struck in the rear at Chestertown by a Troy car. No one was injured and the autos were sent to the garage for repairs.
Jerome Jenkins in the jug
A well known character is occupying familiar quarters in the county jail. Jerome Jenkins, an elderly man whose extremely bibulous habits have made him well known throughout this locality, Monday night, June 22, 1914, hung his hat on the same old peg in the county jail at Lake George, where it has so often hung before.
Jerome has for some time made his headquarters in Bolton. Sunday morning, about 3 o’clock, while intoxicated, he entered the home of Thomas Lenox, through the window and made his way upstairs to Mr. Lenox’s bedroom. He resisted the efforts of the house owner to expel him and could not be ejected until a neighbor was called in to help. Constable Sheridan Finkle was notified and Jenkins was taken into custody and lodged in the county jail to await a hearing.
Hotel dodges bullet
The case of the People of the State of New York, against the Delaware and Hudson Company, owners of the new Fort William Henry Hotel, called for trial at an adjourned term of the Supreme Court at Lake George, Monday, June 22, 1914, Justice C.C. VanKirk presiding, and came to an abrupt close when counsel for the plaintiff accepted a compromise offered by the defendant by which it was agreed that a perpetual right away across the company’s dock at Lake George should be granted. The concession to give to the public a perpetual right to cross the dock was made by the D&H Company through its counsel, Attorney L.E. Carr. The road was closed by permission of the town board of Caldwell and the village board of Lake George in 1909.
The plaintiff contended that without right the defendant filled in state land under water at the head of Lake George and sought to compel the defendant to remove the filled in part upon which several structures had been erected. As the only purpose of the plaintiff was to secure right for the public to cross the dock with vehicles, the action will be continued to compel the defendant to remove the filling and buildings thereon and the Attorney General will not oppose the application of the defendant to the State Land Board for a grant of right to use the property now filled in.
New law enforced
The State Department of Health has announced that it will enforce vigorously the new law requiring the registration of births within five days after the visit of the stork. Many physicians have been very lax in this matter but hereafter they must do their duty or pay the penalty prescribed by law.
Horicon summer hotel
E.H. McAuliffe has sold the Brant Lake House, at Horicon, to Caesar A. Rossi for $7,500. Mr. Rossi will take possession July 6, 1914.
Mr. McAuliffe built the Brant Lake House fifteen years ago and it was one of the finest properties on the lake. He will give a closing dance and supper Wednesday night, July 1, 1914 and everyone is invited.
Barn burns, cattle safe
E.S. Dunlon’s barn, in North River, was burned to the ground Sunday night, June 28, 1914. Mr. Dunlon saw the flames in time to save his wagons. The cattle were in the pasture. It is supposed that the building was struck and fired by a severe thunder storm which was raging at the time. The loss is only partially covered by insurance.
Oddity in Thurman
Herbert Rounds, of Thurman, has a lamb two months old that has only three legs, one in front and two behind. It is perfect in every other way and gets about very handily with its short equipment of legs.
Herbert Rounds took a load of veal lambs to Johnsburgh and sold them to Nobel Armstrong.
In other news, H.C. Ingraham, of Landon Hill, Pottersville, recently found a strawberry in his garden patch which measured seven inches in circumference and two inches in diameter.
House changes hands
D.E. Pasco bought the John Moon property on Hudson Street, Warrensburgh for $955. The place was owned by Mrs. Mary Beswick who has been judged incompetent and sold at auction on a court order to settle her estate. The lot is triangular shaped and is located on the north corner of Hudson and First Streets.
The house was occupied for many years by the late John Moon, father of James Moon who now lives a short distance up the street. The sale was not largely attended and there were few bidders. The first offer was $500. (Note – John Moon came to Warrensburgh village from a farm near the Chestertown tollgate (corner of route 9 and 28). He was supervisor of Warrensburgh in 1849. His son, James Moon, in 1876, was appointed “keeper” of Clinton Prison at Dannemora. James was married to Harriet E. Salisbury and they had three children. He died in 1917.)
News near and far
Farmers in Meadville, Chestertown have completed their haying. Owing to the grasshoppers and dry weather, the crop was very light. Lester Wolroth had a very serious attack of colera morbus brought on by eating green apples.
A bustle adds much to the new dances, that is, for the spectators at the new dances. Its gyrations, when its mistress is doing the Tango or the Lightening Streak, is worth watching.
A three year old colt owned in Fort Ann, committed suicide recently by batting his head against a rock in an effort to free one of his legs which had become caught in a fissure in a rock in its pasture.
A trout weighing seventeen and a half pounds was caught in Kattskill Bay, Lake George by John R. Gordon, of New York. This is the biggest trout caught in Lake George this season.
The Empire Shirt Company’s factory on River Street, Warrensburgh, closed July 1, 1914 for two weeks during which time extensive repairs are being made to the buildings. (Note – The Empire Shirt Factory was established in 1879 by Louis Weinman and Louis W. Emerson. Today it is the home of Lizzie Keays Restaurant and several small businesses.
Louis Davison and Miss Daisy Langworthy, both of Warrensburgh, were married Friday evening, June 26, 1914 by the Rev. Richard Abbott, at the home of Mrs. Lucy Harris on River Street.)
Miss Francis A. Combs, daughter of Mrs. May Combs of Glens Falls, formerly of Warrensburgh, was married to Frank J. Hoag of Westerly, Rhode Island, the son of William Hoag of Glens Falls. The bride wore a suit of Copenhagen blue with a white hat and she carried a bouquet of white carnations.
Harry Stockton, of Lewisville, Warrensburgh, has bought a fine blooded bay horse from E.S. Crandall.
Orrin Perkins is having a fine croquet and tennis ground prepared near his residence in West Stony Creek.
A son was born June 21, 1914 to Mrs. Frank Wall of North River. Mrs. Herbert Rounds, of Thurman, is the mother of a new baby girl. A son was born to Mrs. Lewis Davis of Graphite.
Mrs. Ernest Pratt and baby girl, of Warrensburgh, are passing a few weeks at Riverbank with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Hill. Mr. Pratt is employed at the Sagamore grounds at Bolton Landing.
To make butter come easier when you have only one cow, give the cow salt regularly twice a week and then make sure your cream is about 60 degrees warm when churning.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210