On a visit to my mom’s last week, I shared my abundance of summer squash with her. She remembered an Italian soup that my grandma used to make and we got to work in the kitchen. The outcome was a pleasant surprise.
Just when I thought I couldn’t eat one more bite of summer squash, this recipe change everything and I can’t wait to make it again.
It is surprisingly sweet and savory, and best of all it is super simple to make.
Summer Squash Soup
6 cups chopped summer squash
1 carton low sodium chicken broth + 1 carton water (refill same carton from stock)
1 large garlic clove
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cover the bottom of your soup pot with olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute, then add the squash. Cook until soft.
- Add low sodium chicken stock and water.
- Scramble the 2 eggs in a glass and add to the soup while stirring so that the egg doesn’t clump together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to simmer until you are ready to serve.
Corinna Maggy is a National Academy of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer and corrective exercise specialist offering private personal training, classes, and weight management programs. She can be reached at 605-3549 or email@example.com.