•100 years ago - Dec., 1913•
Town notable happy with new leg
Henry Ashe, proprietor of the Agricultural Hotel, who had his right leg amputated above the knee last spring on account of blood poison in his foot, has had the member replaced by an artificial limb made by the Winkfield Artificial Limb Co., of Minneapolis, Minn.
It is as perfect a leg as can be made by man up to the present time, having a knee and ankle joints which can be operated by the wearer at will. “Hank” says he is much pleased with the new contraption.
Warren House gala held
At the Warren House, Saturday evening, Nov. 29, 1913, Maurice O’Connor, the genial and popular proprietor, entertained at dinner 14 of Warrensburgh’s prominent men, simply as a friendly testimonial of his esteem for a small number of his tried and true friends.
Those present were Hon. L.W. Emerson, Senator James A. Emerson, Supervisor Milton N. Eldridge, John G. Smith, County Superintendent of Highways Bertram E. Murray, Louis E. Reoux, Andrew Reidy, Thomas O’Connor, J.A. Woodward, J.M. Somerville, Hart Joseph, Berry W. Woodward and W. Osborne.
The course dinner was prepared under the direct supervision of Mrs. O’Connor and was of the well-known Warren House quality.
Grim Reaper defeats a good man
Relentless death is no respecter of persons. Time and place may not be chosen for his dread visit. Even in scenes of joy his presence is ever near, in palace or hovel he obtrudes his grim visage. In the joyous holiday time, when good cheer prevails on every hand, he has invaded our beautiful village and removed from our midst our good citizen, Lewis Thomson who has been prominently identified with Warrensburgh for many years and his familiar presence will be greatly missed. Mr. Thomson’s active life, covering a span of 60 years, was passed in this town and here by and through his great talent for business, his thrift and economy, he amassed a fortune estimated at nearly half a million dollars.
Lewis Thomson died Friday night, Dec. 19, 1913 at his beautiful home on upper Main St. where for many weeks he had suffered the pains of his terrible malady, cancer, which after more than a year cut short his earthly career where the ambition of his life had almost been realized and he was prepared to enjoy the fruits of his years of struggle and achievement in business.
On Nov. 27, 1912 Mr. Thomson submitted to an operation by Dr. Harvey, a famous Troy surgeon at the Samaritan Hospital and his condition improved as a result, but in October of this year he was compelled to retire to his home and bed. He was buried in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
(Note - Lewis Thomson, a poor farm boy, was born April 8, 1853 on Spruce Mountain in Warrensburgh. A self-made man, by hard work and diligence, he worked his way up to being the most extensive dealer in real estate in this area. At one time he owned 27 farms. He was a cattle driver and dealer and went into partnership in 1898 with Albert H. Thomas in the pulp wood business on a large scale. Thomson owned 7,000 acres of rich timberlands in Underwood, Essex County in partnership with the Kenyon Lumber Co. of Sandy Hill.
On May 17, 1882 he married Miss Phebe Sisson and they had one daughter, Pearl Rice, wife of Philip E. Rice, a hotel man. In 1906, Thomson built his beautiful 27-room dream home on upper Main St., which is today the Cornerstone Bed and Breakfast. In 1913 the town mourned the passing of a truly great man.)
Charges against two women dismissed
Indictments against Mary Barber of Lake George and Mary A. Monroe of Hague were dismissed by Judge Raley at the Grand Jury secession with the consent of District Attorney Kiley.
The indictment against the Barber woman charged her with having stolen a sum of money from a trial juror a year ago when during the term of Supreme Court a man lodged over night in the boarding house she maintained, money was found missing when he got up in the morning. It was thought that enough evidence for a conviction could not be secured against her.
The Monroe woman was held for a violation of the excise law in Hague and was tried a year ago in County Court. The jury failed to agree in the case and she has since changed her place of residence.
Indian Lake’s wilderness days
In the early days the general area of the town of Indian Lake, situated 1750 feet above sea level, was called Gilman. This wild area was composed of several of the present towns, Long Lake and Wells among them.
There is a story of how Indian Lake separated from this town. One day a Mr. Peary’s pig got into a Mr. Bealie’s garden and a dispute arose as to how the matter would be settled. There was no Justice of the Peace, nor other officers within 25 miles, so the people saw the need of having someone enforce the law.
The place had ten freeholders and so it separated and became a town which was made up of what is now Long Lake. Later, around 1757, the town was divided and each area became a town by itself. At this time the town was a wilderness. The settlers used to sit on their doorsteps and listen to the cry of wild animals. The wolves used to follow them to their doors at night. Miles Washburn was elected as Indian Lake’s first supervisor.
(Note: Old stories abound and other history sources say that about the year 1765 a Banakee Indian from the province of Quebec, known as Sabael Benedict, first discovered the town and gave it it’s name. Former Warrensburgh Town Historian, the late Mabel Tucker, traced her ancestry back to this man and John Mitchell, Sabael’s grandson.)
Deaths in the news
Stokes Ellsworth, 76, died the afternoon of Nov. 22, 1913, at his home, 7 Mason St., Glens Falls. He is survived by his widow, four sons, Elisha, Herbert, Elmer Ellsworth and Alva Coffin and two daughters, Mrs. Crandall and Mrs. Mead.
The deceased was for many years a resident of Lake George, a dedicated member of the Presbyterian Church as well as a veteran of the Civil War.
Sweet and sour notes
A timely snowstorm on Dec. 23, 1913, beginning during the morning and continuing until late in the evening, brought about eight inches of snow and this averted the dreaded green Christmas.
John H. Arehart closed his hotel at Harrisburgh, West Stony Creek, Nov. 22, 1913, for the winter and with his family has moved to his hotel at Creek Centre.
Walter Betty, who is employed at Hooper’s garnet mine, met with an accident on the night of Nov. 21, 1913. He was working near the mine machinery when his arm was caught, breaking it in three places. He was taken at once to the Glens Falls Hospital.
Friedrich and Anna Krellwitz Wischhusen have a lovely little three-year-old daughter Katarina Anna Regina Wischhusen who was born Oct. 22, 1910 in Bremen, Germany. (Note: Kitty Otto, 103 years old, the widow of Hubert Otto and a resident of South Trout Lake Road, Bolton Landing, died Nov. 20, 2013 at Samaritan Hospital, Rexford.)
Forest Young, 40, died Nov. 28, 1913, of pneumonia in Chestertown after only a few days illness. He leaves a widow and six small children.
T.J. Murphy has 6,000 pieces of pine logs cut on the Elm Hill lot in Wevertown ready to be drawn to his new saw mill recently purchased from Moston Brohers
Benjamin Tennyson of Friends Lake slipped on an icy board at the Butler farm, where he was employed and broke two ribs. Ernest LaFlure’s horse-shoeing establishment in Chestertown is a bee hive of activity. Fred Bump has moved into his new house in Adirondack. Frank E. Pasco of Athol has enrolled as a student at Albany Business College.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.