“Too much sun after a Syracuse winter does strange things to your head, makes you feel strong, even if you aren’t.”
— Laurie Halse Anderson, Speak
Whether one winters in Syracuse or Plattsburgh, thriving in winter does make one heartier. Chasing away the winter blues is tough with the cold, the ice, and the dark, however; The Winter Series has been a welcome solution to gather ideas, inform ourselves and share some great local wine, advice, and many laughs.
Grab a friend or even more daring; come by yourself and be open to meeting some new people and hearing some sound advice from our local wellness experts. Some of our area experts have shared their expertise to help each of us enjoy and “grow strong” during the winter months.
Janine Meads, skin care expert and Arbonne Representative, shared some of her beautiful products and recommended daily moisturizing and wearing sunscreen year round to keep our skin at it’s best. Janine also shared that one of the favorite ways to warm up after a day outdoors is a long, steamy, hot shower. While this warms the soul, it dries the skin and ages us prematurely. A warm shower followed by a good moisturizer is the best way to keep skin healthy and youthful.
Elizabeth Pearl, Physical Therapist and owner of Pearl Physical Therapy and Wellness on Court Street in Plattsburgh brought along Stacy Herron, a staff PT, and presented simple, practical, and purposeful ways to stay fit and strong. As we move through life, we often experience injury, both physical and emotional. These hurts stay within our bodies and present as injury. Pain is not a natural response to movement; bodies are not meant to hurt. This simple thought has the power to be life changing. We often accept pain or discomfort as a natural part of aging, this does not have to be so. Elizabeth, and audience members, shared great advice on how to stay active.
• Keep moving to keep moving. Even after an injury or surgery, stay active, even if in a small way. Walk, lift small hand weights, do a little more each day and rebuild strength. Even balancing on one foot while doing the dishes or brushing your teeth adds to the healthier YOU.
• Put yourself in the place where fitness can happen and very often the mind catches up once you get there. Often times, anticipation is worse than experience.
• Create a routine and share it with a friend – this keeps you honest and accountable. Stick to it, commit, NO EXCUSES!
• Be compassionate with yourself too – reward yourself for success.
• Soon, your reward will be a more energized, healthy, and confident self.
While working on fitness remember that outside appearance is a powerful way to change the inside – exercise can help alleviate the sadness we often experience during the long winter days. In a more basic way, change your outfit to change your life.
• Be a little daring when it comes to changing up your wardrobe, most women are wearing at least one size too big. Bigger clothes make you look bigger than you are, they do not hide flaws.
• Accept the body you have by dressing the body you have. You are a work in progress, celebrate this truth.
One audience member shared her shopping habits – she had been buying her clothes from the same catalogue for years. A friend shared a piece of advice with her, “do not buy a dress in the same store where you can buy a tent.” She has since stepped up her look and is now a local style maven.
We’d like to share some comments from the audience: “I had so much energy the next day after attending!”, “I need to be brave and do new things more often!”, “I have been feeling so restless and somewhat hopeless, decided to give the Winter Series a try, and now am thinking about some changes that I am ready to make.”, “The Wine Company is charming, a real treasure in downtown Plattsburgh – a great place to gather and share conversation.” Winter wellness is alive and well in the North Country!
Don’t forget to join us for:
body, mind & spirit Winter series
keep the winter blues at bay!
Come and share great conversation, insights and a glass of wine with our empowering wellness professionals, inspirational speakers and spirited hosts
Sponsored by: Style & Substance and the Champlain Wine Company
When: Feb. 5, 5:30- 7 p.m.
Diane Miller, How to create a beautiful living space Feb 19, 5:30 - 7 p.m.
Balanced Women in Business
Email us with questions and appointment requests at email@example.com