Last week, I wrote about planning healthy school lunches. This week I am going to give you some healthy lunch and snack ideas to include in your child’s lunch box. Remember gather your list of possible meal and snack options and rotate them, write them into a calendar if you need to. Preparation is key.
Also take a few minutes the night before to get lunches and snacks all ready to go. Store them in the fridge and pack up their lunchboxes in the morning…it makes getting out the door so much easier.
• Whole grain bagel with cream cheese, carrot sticks, orange slices, crackers
• Almond butter and jelly sandwich on whole grain bread, yogurt, cucumber slices, pretzels
• Hardboiled egg, whole grain roll, apple slices, celery sticks w/peanut butter and raisins
• Pita stuffed with hummus, lettuce, tomatoes, and sprouts. Grapes, whole grain crackers
• Cheese and crackers, carrot and celery sticks with dip, apple slices, grapes
• Fresh Fruit
• Whole grain cereal bar
• Healthy granola bar (beware of the candy bar granola bar look-alike)
• Homemade trail mix
• Whole grain crackers
Hot Meal Ideas
• Plain oatmeal mixed with some honey and nut butter topped with apple slices
• Whole grain pasta with marinara sauce
Make Your Own Trail Mix
• Cereal, pretzels, cracker pieces, raisins
• Raw almonds, raw sunflower seeds, craisins
• Raw cashews, craisins, pretzels
• Raw mixed nuts, dried fruit
These are just a couple of ideas. There are no rules to making trail mix, so get creative and keep it interesting and fun. Make large batches and keep in a food safe container to have handy for when you need it.
Add some of these options to your lunch calendar and see how it goes. Again, give your child lots of healthy options especially when introducing new foods. It is also nice to add a treat every now and then like a couple yogurt covered pretzels, or a small homemade muffin. Next week, I’ll bring you some more easy and healthy lunch and snack ideas.
Corinna Maggy is a National Academy of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer and corrective exercise specialist offering private personal training, classes, and weight management programs. She can be reached at 605-3549 or firstname.lastname@example.org.