To the Times of Ti:
Enough is enough! On my daily walk around Mossy Point today, I picked up two more empty bottles of vodka mysteriously tied off in plastic Walmart bags. Since February, getting a head start on Earth Day, I started cleaning up the roadside of this “invasive species.” To date I have brought home to recycle 26 bottles, usually Crystal Vodka, with an occasional alien label thrown in there, but all tied off in a plastic bag. Whoever the perpetrator, definitely has a pattern to their method of disposal.
No one is sure how long it takes plastic to degrade, since in the hundred years it has been in existence, there is still no sign of degrading. Plastics, along with glass and cans are easy to recycle, and it is free! Yet only 10 percent of plastics are recycled. The other 90 percent take up space in landfills and end up along roadsides. Plastics contain harmful chemicals that can seep into groundwater and cause health risks for both wildlife and humans. Recycling a single plastic bottle is enough to power a 60 watt bulb for six hours. It takes 7-8 percent of the world fossil fuels to make new plastic. In other words...our precious oil. Don’t be one of the people in the U.S. who throw away 2.5 million plastic bottles an hour. And if you are the person throwing your empty Vodka bottles on Mossy Point, please find a better way to dispose of them.
Cleaning up the roadside along Black Point Road from the boat launch south and Mossy Point has been a tradition since my daughter started doing it some 20 years ago. She left the house with her then 4-year-old brother in a wagon, and returned dragging a wagon piled high with three large bags full of roadside garbage, towing her brother in hand. That was April 22, 1992, before Earth Day was a familiar term for our students. In the following years, my sons also cleaned up Mossy Point as their senior global studies community service.
With my children grown and gone, the annual Earth Day clean up has been left to me. Two years ago, the town highway crew was good enough to come and pick up the four large garbage bags I filled from this small area. Now retired, I have been happy to see the Earth Day recognition that I partnered to start in Ticonderoga High School continue, but a small group of students and staff cannot clean up all of Ticonderoga and surrounding areas.
I would encourage everyone to do your part, and get out on April 22 (if not before) with a pair of gloves and a garbage bag. We all need to make everyday, Earth Day.
As I always told my students, I was not lucky enough to be born here, but I chose to live here, because of it’s incredible beauty, and I will do my part to keep it that way. Oh and by the way, this year I will be helped by my 4-year-old grandson in cleaning up Mossy Point and Black Point Road! Never too soon to learn the family tradition!
Marsha Jewett LaPointe