To the Times of Ti:
My name is Randy Engler and I am the founder of the upcoming North Country Triathlon (northcountrytri.com) that will be held on Saturday June 30, 2012 at Hague Beach starting at 7:30am. The event is will be an Olympic distance and a Sprint distance triathlon (swim, bike and run).
We are expecting well over 500 competitors from many parts of the region as well as from other states. Additionally there will be many folks from the area coming to the Hague Beach to watch the race and cheer the racers on as they come across the finish line around noon on the 30th.
Since this will be a large event, I wanted to take a moment and ask for your help in ensuring we have a really fun, and safe race:
• If you are located anywhere on 9N from Silver Bay to Ticonderoga, please be extra careful and aware of the racers on foot or on their bikes who may be passing by your driveways when you are backing out of your drive.
• Slow down and take extra caution on blind corners (such as Island Harbor Dr in front of Ruah B&B) and hills as runners and cyclists will be on 9N and Route 8 outside of Hague and Ticonderoga from about 8:00 a.m. until around 1:00 p.m.
• Kindly brush any debris (rock & stone) away from driveway entrances next to road shoulder that might cause a runner or cyclist to fall and clear any vehicles that may block the shoulder as the racers will be using these shoulders for their safety.
If you are planning on coming to Hague Beach to watch the event (and we encourage you to do so) or to run errands:
• Please understand that the town will be very crowded around the Beach area from about 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. Please plan on slight delays.
• Parking will be very tight and spaces are limited. If it is at all possible, please consider walking or riding a bike to town that day.
• No dogs allowed on the town beach from 7 a.m. to noon on race day as cyclists are a favorite target for dogs, and there are many children at the event and we want to ensure the safety and enjoyment for all.
Your overall awareness and patience while the event is going on is greatly appreciated and will help ensure a safe, and fun event for our community.
Thanks very much!
North Country Triathlon