•100 years ago - Dec., 1913•
J. E. Sawyer relocates to Glens Falls Hill
The biggest real estate deal which has taken place in some time in Glens Falls was consummated in December, 1913 when J. E. Sawyer & Co. purchased from Mayor W. Irving Griffing the three-story brick building on the top of Glen Street hill constructed in 1905, formerly occupied by the Griffing & Leland Co. as a livery stable and sales establishment store which offered three floors of carriages, buckboards, harnesses and the best in driving equipment and it was later ran by Mr. Griffing, a former Athol native, until his retirement from business last spring. The consideration was not announced but it is said to have been in the neighborhood of $35,000.
As soon as complete equipment has been put in, Sawyer will move into their new building which will be probably around March 1, 1914. J. E. Sawyer & Co. has been in business 30 years, having first established a harness and horse goods establishment in 1883 near the Jointa Lime Company’s property in Lower Warren St. at the foot of the Feeder Canal. Later they moved to the store now occupied by R.E. Burger. Eight years later they moved to Park and Glen streets and 17 years ago moved to their present site at 30 Warren St. The company now occupies the three floors at No. 36, also the loft over the National Express Company’s office and has a large store shed in the rear.
(Note - Originally the palatial home of Duncan McGregor, built about 1836 by Capt. Sidney W. Berry, for whom Berry Street was named, once presided at the top of Glen Street Hill and its impressive retaining wall later supported the entrance driveway to the J.E. Sawyer store which sold hardware, paint, steel, mill supplies, heating and plumbing supplies and later, after raising to four stories with 58,000 square feet of space at 64 to 90 Glen Street, became a Glens Falls landmark.
In 1879 the now-legendary Joseph Edward Sawyer went to work as a bookkeeper for the Glens Falls Hub and Spoke Co., and by 1883 he bought the business and established his own company. He moved to the three-story Glen Street Hill property in 1914 and the rest is history.
In 2006 developer Peter Rice, a Mohawk Indian, of Brightstar Development, claimed to have a contract to buy the property for $2.2 million, to demolish all except the main building and build a grand 125-room hotel, with 15 suites, and a convention center, plus a pedestrian walkway over Glen St. to the Glens Falls Civic Center, but nothing materialized.
Party’s uninvited guest threatens host
Charged with threatening to shoot Dr. Lemon Thomson, Orville Hull was arrested in his home at West Mountain by Deputy Sheriff Philip O’Connell. He was arraigned before Justice Prentiss Gifford as Warren County Judge Raley was out of town and could not be found to fix the bail for holding the prisoner for the Grand Jury and he was locked up in Glens Falls police headquarters.
Dr. Thomson recently built a bungalow at the foot of the mountain, where he often entertains. Recently an evening party was given there. Hull, who had not been invited, appeared during the evening under the influence of liquor and made himself obnoxious. The result was he was thrown out of the building by Dr. Thomson. It is said that he went to his home about two miles distant and returned with a gun with which, Dr. Thomson says, Hull intended to shoot him. The man was overpowered and the gun was taken away from him.
Wouldn’t stand for joshing
A sassy bunch of young fellows in Corinth recently attempted to “josh” Levi Mosher, of Thurman, who was passing along the street with several friends and were considerably surprised when the husky youth from up the line resented their insults and sailed into them with his fists. Leonard Cutter received a smack in the eye and later had Mosher arrested on a charge of assault in the third degree. He was arraigned before Justice of the Peace Brady, who fined him $5. Mosher went to Corinth to seek employment in the International Paper Mill.
Notable lady dies
Mrs. Emily Harris Everts, 67, wife of Duncan Everts, died at her home in Athol the morning of Nov. 2, 1913 after a long illness of tuberculosis of the lungs. Mrs. Everts was born in Athol where all her life was passed. She was a woman devoted to her home and family and was much respected by all who knew her.
Besides her husband she is survived by her son, William Everts of Warrensburgh and three daughters and two brothers, John D. and Alvin Harris. Mrs. T. H. Smith and Mrs. Charles Hall sang two selections at the funeral. Internment was in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Bordon VanDusen and Miss Grace Combs, both of Stony Creek, were married there Saturday, Nov. 29, 1913 by the Rev. A.L. Tracy in the Methodist Episcopal parsonage.
Edward Burlette of Glens Falls and Miss Ellen Dyer of Johnsburgh were married Thursday afternoon, Dec. 4, 1913 by the Rev. Charles O. Judkins in Glens Falls.
Lemon T. Morehouse and Miss Cordie E. Montgomery of Wevertown were married on Thanksgiving day by the Rev. W.S. Mulholland at his residence there. Miss Ella Montgomery, sister of the bride, and Mark Stewart were the attendants.
Rare rabbit species savored as stew
Dr. A.H. Haynen of Glens Falls, son-in-law of ex-Sheriff and Mrs. T.J. Smith of Warrensburgh, with O.B. Bailey, also of Warrensburgh, went on a hunting trip in the north woods and shot 19 rabbits, one of which was jet black, a very rare specimen. Mr. Bailey’s gun brought down the prize. (Note: Thomas J. Smith and his wife, Julia Barton Smith had five children, one of which was former Warrensburgh Supervisor, Frank W. Smith. Mr. Smith was a successful grain and flour dealer whose business was across River Street from today’s Gristmill Restaurant.)
The first real snow came in this area on Nov. 29, 1913, but we didn’t get enough for sleighing. Three inches of snow fell in Diamond Point.
James Kingsley, 40, who pleaded guilty to abducting 14-year-old Dorothy Bates from the home of her grandparents in Starbuckville, was sentenced to not less than one year and 6 months and not more than two years and 6 months in Clinton Prison. (Note: The details of this odd story appeared in this column in the Aug. 17, 2013 Adirondack Journal.)
H.C. Ingraham of Landon Hill, Pottersville, has taken his deer head, the finest seen this season, to Horace Newton of Brant Lake to have it mounted.
William H. Combs of Lewisville in Warrensburgh killed a hog for George Fuller that weighed 532 pounds dressed. It was 14 months old. Seth Alden has one nearly as large and Albert Taylor has a big one also.
A son was born at the home of Howard Thomas, Friday night, Nov. 28, 1913 in Johnsburgh.
Duell & Fosmer of Bolton Landing will give another of their enjoyable dances there at the Bijou Theatre on Dec. 12, 1913 with music by Gene Pratt’s orchestra.
Mrs. Henry Reese, 80, known here about as “Aunt Naomi,” has moved from her Bakers Mills farm onto the main road into the Mary Wilcox house to stay during the winter as her health is poor. She has lived in Bakers Mills all her life. Her daughter, Mrs. George Smith will care for her.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.