•100 years ago — April 1914•
Town mourns beloved citizen
“Joe Woodward is dead,” was the shocking news received with disbelief and grief by Warrensburgh people the morning of April 14, 1914 — in their homes, on the streets, as words were passed one to another. There was no one in the town more in the public eye than Joseph Woodward. For 25 years, in his profession as a licensed under-taker and embalmer, he had buried the dead from many homes here, performing his sad duties with a sympathy which never failed and a delicacy which lightened the burden of grief or sorrow stricken hearts. That he himself must go the way of all flesh and be born to the cold and dismal ground, caused a feeling of desolation among his vast host of friends and acquaintances.
Mr. Woodward was ill for less than a week. While working in front of his furniture store he was suddenly seized with a severe attack of acute indigestion and even with Dr. Goodman’s care, it was all downhill after that.
Joe Woodward was born in Warrensburgh on May 2, 1861, a son of Leander and Susan Brannack Woodward. He married Mary West in 1888 and she survives him along with his mother and two brothers, Fred H. and Berry Woodward. In 1889 the deceased bought the furniture and undertaking business of Fred W. Herrick, than located in the Pasko block. When the new Music Hall building was erected, he leased and had since occupied one of the most capacious stores on the block, where he built up a highly prosperous business.
The funeral was held April 16, 1914 at the Church of the Holy Cross with the Rev. Guy Harte Purdy officiating among many beautiful floral tributes. Charles E. Bullard of Glens Falls was undertaker. Charles F. Burhans, Charles A. McElroy, John J. Archer and Harry Cunningham were the pallbearers.
(Note: The Josiah Woodward family came to Warrensburgh in 1787 from Connecticut and were the seventh family to settle here in this section of the country north of Lake George. The family grew and prospered and the last two members of the family I can remember who lived in this area were the late Kathryn Maltbie, daughter of Archibald Woodward and the late David Haskell of Stony Creek, son of Ella Woodward. Joseph A. Woodward was named for his grandfather, Judge Joseph Woodward who was supervisor in 1845 here. Woodward was the most respected undertaker of his time but after he was gone came Cass McCloskey, Maynard Baker and John Alexander who have left their own fine imprint on the town.
The Pasko block was just south of today’s bandstand. The Music Hall was north across Adirondack Avenue from today’s Rite Aid pharmacy.)
Visitor from afar
Charles B. Palmer of Poughkeepsie, a former Warrensburgh boy, was in town recently to attend the funeral of Joseph A. Woodward. Mr. Palmer began his business career as a clerk in the Emerson Bank here and is now president of the Dutchess Manufacturing Co. of Poughkeepsie, one of the leading concerns in the county manufacturing trousers.
A head-on collision between a freight train and an engine drawing the D. & H. pay car occurred April 9, 1914 on the Lake George–Glens Falls railway branch, at a point near the Washington County fair grounds. Several people on the train were badly cut and bruised and were taken to Glens Falls Hospital, but none, including the crew, were seriously injured. The accident happened when the trains were rounding a curve and both engines were badly wrecked.
News from abroad
Mrs. T. Roche-Rearden, formerly Miss Henrietta Cramer, daughter of LeGrand C. Cramer of Troy, was granted a divorce April 8, 1914 in Paris in a divorce from her husband, Capt. Roche-Rearden, a British army officer and friend of Lord Decies, who recently married Vivian Gould. The couple was married in 1911.
Mr. and Mrs. Cramer have for many years maintained a summer home, Trinity Rock, on the Bolton Road, about three miles from Lake George Village. (Note: LeGrand Cramer was the rich son of George H. Cramer of Troy, who was at one time the president of the Rensselaer & Saratoga Railroad before it became the Delaware & Hudson. The lovely grounds of Trinity Rock, located on Cramer Point, were tended by 22 gardeners and LeGrand Cramer took a serious role in the social life of the summer colony.)
Dr. John Breen of Schroon Lake was one of the 20 witnesses who were present April 13, 1914 at the electrocution of “Dago Frank” Cirofici at Sing- Sing Prison. There were a separate lot of witnesses for each of the four gunman put to death, therefore Dr. Breen saw only one execution, although he attended the autopsy of all four. Cirofici was a New York City criminal, who was among two men responsible for the July 16, 1912 murder of gambler Herman Rosenthal.
Former Thurman official dies
Duncan Everts, 74, died at his home in Thurman April 21, 1914, after a long illness of Bright’s disease. A life long resident of Thurman, he was one of the most prominent men of the town and served several terms as Town Supervisor and also as Justice of the Peace. During the Civil War he served three years in the Union Army and lost a leg. A son, William G. Everts and three daughters survive him. He was buried in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
James F. Pendell, 85, a lifelong resident of Thurman, died at his home in Athol after a long period of ill health. He leaves a widow, who does not live with him and one daughter, Mrs. William Ingraham of Thurman. An adopted son was his only companion at home.
The deceased had been totally deaf since childhood. Though he enjoyed few advantages he acquired considerable education and was a writer of no mean ability. Years ago, he was a frequent contributor to the Warrensburgh News and several of his poems were published in these columns over the pseudonym of Xavier.
Sen. Emerson’s bill funds fish hatchery
Reappropriating $20,000 for a fish hatchery at Warrensburgh passed both houses at a recent session of the state legislature. This was one of many bills introduced by Senator James A. Emerson to bring prosperity to our region.
In other news, Mrs. James A. Emerson arrived home, April 1, 1914 from the Samaritan Hospital in Troy, where three weeks ago she underwent a serious operation performed with rare skill by the famous surgeon, Dr. J.B. Harvie of that city. She was brought home from Troy by Sen. Emerson in a special trolley car on the Hudson Valley Railway and she was much fatigued.
Under the hammer
The Taylor House property at Schroon Lake, consisting of a hotel building and 15 cottages, one mile of lakefront and a large tract of woodland, situated six miles south of Schroon Lake, will be sold at public auction, May 7, 1914, at the Rockwell House, Glens Falls.
The property was once one of the most popular summer resorts in the Adirondacks and it is hoped that the glory days will come again. Edward Harrigan, the famous actor, summered there for many years. The buildings are in need of repair.
The snow has nearly all disappeared from the hillsides and the grass is beginning to look quite green already.
In Connecticut there are “Blue Laws” on the books that state “no one shall travel, cook victuals, make beds, sweep houses, cut hair or shave on Sabbath day.” The law also states that “married persons must live together or be imprisoned.”
Prof. John B. Chilson, principal of the Warrensburgh School, has separated himself from a fine black moustache which he shaved off recently.
Brand new model T Ford touring cars are on sale this week for $550 at the auto sales of T.J. Lynch, Warrensburgh. G.W. Dickinson and C.L. Pasco have each bought a new Buick automobile from Miller Brothers Garage in Glens Falls and traded in their old vehicles.
B.J. Smith of Riparius, has traded a four-horse Gray engine with H.C. Culver for a three horse power Oldsmobile. Charles N. Baker of Wevertown has sold his light driving team and purchased a pair of heavy draft horses from Higgins & Barber of Hudson Falls.
Thomas and Catherine Tevlin McKenna have a lovely little three-year-old daughter, Mary McKenna, born in Brooklyn. (Note: Mary Murphy, 102, the widow of John Murphy, died Oct. 25, 2013 in Warrensburg.)
It was just one year ago, April 25, 1913, that Patrick Holleran, working with a river crew to break up a log jam in the Schroon River, slipped from a log and fell into water ten feet deep. After going down twice, his companions managed to save the terrified man from a watery grave. He says that every day he gives thanks for being alive.
In North Caldwell, B.C. Putney has moved back on his farm. William Somerville has moved into J.F. Hill’s house opposite the school house.
Philip Mead, who froze both feet in the big storm in February and who was taken to Glens Falls Hospital for treatment, has had all the toes amputated from one foot and several from the other.
George Wiley of Glens Falls will give instruction all the new dances at Music Hall, including the one-step and the maxixe, also known as the Brazilian tango. His prices are reasonable.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.