To the Adirondack Journal:
Snowmobiling season is here once again. After a stellar 2010-11 season, the Washington County Association of Snowmobile Clubs would like to remind all snowmobilers that we make every effort to assure a safe and enjoyable recreational snowmobile season for the riders, the landowners who host the trail system, and motorists who encounter snowmobiles at road crossings and trail heads.
However, it is up to each rider to:
• Take a snowmobile safety course;
• Avoid all alcohol and drugs before and during a ride;
• Operate their sled at a speed that’s safe for conditions;
• Stay on the marked trails and between the stakes;
• check with local snowmobile club members before riding; and
• Pick up all trash and debris brought in or found on the trail.
Riding is a privilege — not a right. If riders abuse the privilege, they will lose it.
When riders do not follow the rules set forth by the clubs and the association, there is a high risk of losing trails for all snowmobilers’ use.
Thanks to all area landowners and businesses for making our hundreds of miles of trails such a success;.
Enjoy your winter, join a local snowmobile club, and think snow!