•100 years ago - Sept. 1913•
Water gushes during drought
When Joe Gabel, the baker, was going to his work in Warrensburgh at 5 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, 1913 and was passing Music Hall block (corner of Main and Adirondack Avenue), he heard the sound of running water. This was so unusual at that present time that he moved to investigate. Peering into the window of Manzer & Hill’s barber shop he saw the precious fluid streaming from the ceiling in considerable volume. As quickly as possible, he legged it to the residence of H.H. Hill on King St. and brought him to the scene.
The source of the flood was traced to Dr. W.F. Wilkinson’s dental office on the second floor of the building over the barber shop and Wheeler’s News Room and procuring a ladder, Hod Hill gained access to the room through a window and found the water running in a stream from a faucet. A considerable quantity of goods, mostly candy, cigars and sweaters were damaged by the water to the extent of about $75. The damage sustained by Hill and Manzer is probably about $20.
During the present shortage of water to the village system there are several hours during the day, most of the time, where there is not sufficient pressure to force the water to second floor rooms. Tuesday was one of these days and there being no water, Dr. Wilkinson did not notice that the faucet was open and left it that way when he departed the office for the day. For some reason he left the stopper in the waste pipe of the lavatory. The water came on during the night after 10 o’clock and ran steadily until it was discovered by Gabel.
Newcomb hotel consumed in fire
The Wayside Inn, a large three-story hotel at Newcomb, owned and conducted by John Anderson Jr., the Adirondack Lumber King, was destroyed by fire at an early hour the morning of Sept. 11, 1913, with practically all of its contents. The ice house and cooler, laundry and wood house adjoining were also burned. The property was valued at $40,000 and was insured for $18,000.
The fire broke out about 4 o’clock starting from a defective chimney in the kitchen. It was discovered by one of the help who smelled smoke and following the scent found the flames eating into the wall around the chimney. The people in the house were hurriedly awakened and were forced to flee from the burning structure in their night clothes.
The village has no fire protection and it was impossible to combat the flames which spread with such rapidity that the building was soon reduced to ashes. The hotel would accommodate 100 guests and was kept open year-round. It was purchased about 25 years ago and has since been greatly enlarged and improved. The building was a wooden structure heated by wood stoves. Mr. Anderson says that he will rebuild.
Con artists at work
John Thompson and Paul Resiner, members of the “Mysterious Mamie” gang, who exhibited their wonderful freak of nature show at the recent Warren County Fair in Warrensburgh and skipped out of town after two days leaving unpaid their board bill with Mrs. Grant Turner, were brought back from Fort Plain, Sept. 12, 1913 by Deputy Sheriffs Philip Connell and Lewis Mosher of Glens Falls, and lodged in the county jail. The next day they were arraigned before Justice Hodgson, convicted of the charge and fined $25 each. They had no money but promised to pay the amount as soon as they could scrape it together. Upon this condition the justice suspended sentence and turned them loose to prey upon the gullible public and accumulate the coin.
The men are also suspected of appropriating $35 which Mrs. Turner missed about the time they left her house. This charge they strenuously denied and there was no proof to sustain it.
Mrs. Turner has gained some experience which may be useful to her in future dealings with strangers.
Man fined for children’s truancy
Justice George Hodgson, on Sept. 25, 1913, fined Truman Reynolds $15 for violation of the compulsory education law in failing to send his children to school. This was the second offense, Reynolds having been fined $5 on the same charge last year. The fine was than remitted but this time Reynolds will have to pay. His punishment will extend over a period of 15 weeks as in deference to his limited means. Justice Hodgson agreed to let him settle in installments of $1 each week.
Hudson River dam progresses
A mammoth dam is being built across the Hudson River at the point known as the Feeder Dam near Glens Falls. The work was begun last fall, but the contractors, the Flood & Van Wirt Co. of Hudson Falls, were greatly hindered by high water during the winter and spring. They are now making rapid progress. The dam is being built entirely of concrete.
Real estate to boost commerce
One of the most important real estate transactions of the year was completed in Sept. 29, 1913 when officials of the McMullen & Leavens Shirt Co. and Edward McSweeney, proprietor of the McSweeney House reached an agreement to exchange properties on diagonally opposite corners of Lawrence and Cooper streets, Glens Falls. The McSweeney house will be moved from its present site to the opposite corner within a short time not far from the D.& H. station, which will give McMullen & Leavens a frontage of 250 feet on both Lawrence and Cooper streets, the large factory of this company forming an L shape.
Miss Maude R. Pereau, daughter of Louis D. Pereau of North Creek, was married to Paul Akey of Newcomb, Sept. 17, 1913 by the Rev. George Lize, in Glens Falls.
The bride wore a tailored gown of navy blue serge with a white beaver hat trimmed with ostrich plumes and carried a bouquet of white roses. The couple will reside at 97 Ridge St., Glens Falls.
Hunting season opens Oct. 1, 1913. Chestnut trees in the town of Caldwell and at French Mountain are reported to be heavily loaded with nuts and a big crop will be ready for the harvest as soon as Jack Frost further cracks open the burrs. Sunday night was the coldest night of the season here. The mercury registered 32 degrees the morning of Sept. 15, 1913 and we had a general freeze-up, the earth completely covered with frost. Everything in gardens was killed what the drought left. There seems little use of saying anything about the weather. As Mark Twain once said, “Nothing is ever done about it.”
A very small vote was polled at the Warrensburgh primaries on Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1913 - a total of only 46 votes in both districts, a third of which were cast by the ballot clerks.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Morse of Minerva are the parents of a baby boy.
William H. Tennyson of Chestertown has purchased from J.E. Johnson of Warrensburgh a fine Guernsey heifer by Florodora King and Ballett Glenda Gretta. (Note: Jacob E. Johnson owned Meadow Brook Stock Farm in Thurman, a farm that had been in his family since 1792, where he raised the finest of Guernsey and Jersey cattle. When his father, Sanford W. Johnson died in 1890, he left his son one-fourth interest in the lumber manufacturing firm of A.C. Emerson & Co..)
Frank G. Stone has sold his drug store and ice cream parlor in Lewisville (River St.) to Truman Barber who took possession Sept. 17, 1913. (Note: This building is still standing in the parking lot of the Gristmill Restaurant.)
The Empire Shirt Co. (now the Lizzie Keays restaurant building) wants 25 operators on men’s shirts. Good wages and steady employment. Also 15 young girls to learn to make ladies’ silk gloves. Satisfactory arrangements will be made while learning.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.