100 Years Ago - June-July, 1913
Madness attack prompts death
Mrs. Truman Waters of Chestertown, at 11 o’clock a.m. July 2, 1913, while temperately insane, shot herself three times with a 38-calibre revolver inflicting wounds which caused her death at 7 o’clock the next morning in Glens Falls Hospital, where she was taken after the shooting.
Mrs. Waters was alone in her apartment over the I.L. Prouty grain store and her husband was in the store below when the shooting occurred. Of the three shots fired one entered the body just below the heart, the second penetrated the abdomen and the third lodged in one of the woman’s arms.
Mr. Waters, who is just recovering from a long and severe illness, had been gone from the rooms only a short time when he heard the shots. Rushing up stairs he found his wife lying in a pool of blood on the bedroom floor. She was still conscious and was suffering severely from the pain of her wounds. Dr. E.L. Stafford and Dr. George Bibby came to her aid and she was taken to the hospital in Frank Parker’s automobile stage.
Mrs. Waters, 45, has for a number of years been afflicted with periodical attacks of insanity. There has been several suicides in her family, her grandmother having drowned herself and an uncle ending his life by cutting his throat. About three years ago Mrs. Waters left her home at about 9 p.m. and after an all-night search by her husband and many citizens of Chestertown, was found near French Mountain, having walked the entire distance. She is only survived by her husband, having had no children.
Joy over catch nearly kills doctor
Dr. George Vanderpool, an Albany dentist, experienced a narrow escape from being drowned in Lake George near Elizabeth Island in Kattskill Bay, when he plunged his foot through the bottom of his rowboat in the excitement of hauling a large pickerel into the craft.
Water rushed into the boat and the doctor and another Albanian worked the oars hard to reach the shore. When within a few feet of the island, Allen Liddell of Glens Falls, went to the rescue and took the physician out of the boat. The other occupant then pumped the oars harder and succeeded in reaching shore before the boat sank.
Man found guilty of stabbing wife
The trial of George — a Glens Falls man facing a charge of first-degree assault in the stabbing of his wife, Lizzie, last fall in Glens Falls — began June 17, 1913 in Lake George.
The accused pleaded innocent and attempted to establish an alibi, but was unsuccessful. The jury brought in a verdict of Guilty. Judge Raley imposed a sentence of not more than six years and two months nor less than four years at hard labor in Clinton Prison. (Note: This story was detailed in this column in the Dec. 29, 2012 Adirondack Journal. George became enraged when Lizzie, his wife of 21 years, objected to his beating their 18-year-old daughter and he stabbed his wife six times while they argued in the street. He then fled and hid at his mother’s house in Fort Edward.)
One fatal step
Monty H. Gibson, formerly a resident of Hudson Falls and well known as a contractor, died the afternoon of July 28, 1913 at Glens Falls Hospital from injuries he sustained June 6 when he fell from the ground floor to the basement of the garage which he was building for the Adirondack Motor Co.
William McElroy and Miss Huldah Eldridge were married June 24, 1913 at the home of the bride’s parents at Indian Lake. They are staying for the present time at the home of the groom’s father, J.H. McElroy on Horicon Avenue, Warrensburgh.
The marriage of Miss Gabrielle Heffron —daughter of John Heffron, formerly of Warrensburgh, now of 265 Glen Street, Glens Falls and Hugh S. Lavery, son of Samuel Lavery, a prominent young lawyer — took place June 25, 1913 at St. Mary’s Church, Glens Falls.
William Wallace of Warrensburgh, and Miss Winifred Bly, a former resident, were married the afternoon of June 28, 1913 at Schroon Lake where the bride has lived for some time with her mother, Mrs. Etta Bly. The young couple will camp during the summer on the shore of Schroon Lake.
Walter H. Pasco, son of Delbert Pasco, and Miss Elizabeth Herrick, daughter of Halsey Herrick, were married by the Rev. G.H. Purdy at the Church of the Holy Cross, in Warrensburgh, the morning of July 3, 1913 at 7:30 a.m. They left soon after on their honeymoon for an automobile trip through the Adirondacks. (Note - Elizabeth Herrick was the first wife of Walter Pasco. After she died, he married Helen Brennon.)
Music Hall comedy presented
The King Amusement Co. will present “Sis Perkins,” a comedy in four acts at Music Hall, Warrensburgh on Monday evening, June 30, 1913. The play is a story of honesty, virtue, love and friendship. Two hours of solid fun! Tickets are 35 cents, 25 cents and 15 cents for children.
Set for the season
Louise Homer, the popular New York Opera singer, known to the public as “Madame Homer,” has leased the summer home of Mrs. Mary F. Paine, on the Bolton Road for the summer season. The Paine house is located on the property adjoining the Shepard home. (Note: Louise Dilworth Beatty was married to composer Sidney Homer and she was called “the greatest contralto the Metropolitan Opera ever had.”)
Chester House’s summer guests
The popularity of the Chester House, with its old mahogany and well-kept antiques under the direction of Proprietor Harry S. Downs, is attested to by the arrival of dozens of autos each day, most of which are filled with tourists who linger in the neat little village of Chestertown. In the cool of the evening the front porch is well filled with permanent summer guests.
In other news, Mr. and Mrs. C. Albert Jacob of West End Avenue, New York City, have opened their well-appointed summer house on Loon Lake known as “Bonnie Belle Farm” which is always filled with guests.
D.J. Murphy opened his new hotel on Friends Lake, Sunday, June 15, 1913 and started out the season with 20 boarders.
The much-needed rain came Sunday night, June 15, 1913, with thunder and lightening. It settled the dust, which was quite a relief. In comparison, the summer of 1912 was very cold and wet.
The first baseball game of the season was played on the home grounds Saturday afternoon, June 14, 1913 when our Warrensburgh boys easily won from the “Indians” of Indian Lake. When the game was done, the score was 27 to 11 in favor of the home team.
A son was born July 3, 1913 to Mrs. William Hastings, at their home on Horicon Avenue, Warrensburgh.
W.W. Pasco of North Thurman traded his iron gray mare with Noble Armstrong of Johnsburgh for a pair of matched gray horses. L.M. Carpenter of Adirondack has purchased a span of black horses from Scott Pritchard of Pottersville. A valuable horse owned by the Galusha brothers of Johnsburgh broke a leg and had to be killed.
Charles Henry Thomson, 56, a former resident of Chestertown, died June 18, 1913 at his home in Glens Falls. Arthur Wells spent Sunday with his folks in Igerna. Roland Smith is sawing wood for the people of Wevertown with a power saw run by a gasoline engine. Horace Hack has finished plastering his new house in Johnsburgh. Beaver board is rapidly coming into use as a substitute for lathe and plaster in covering house walls and ceilings.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.