100 Hundred Years Ago - June 1913
Small misfortune raises big havoc
While Contractor Ami L. Daniels was putting a new iron roof on the Burt Shirt Factory’s building in Luzerne on Saturday afternoon, June 7, 1913, his foot slipped and he slid down between the main building and an ell. He was so tightly wedged he had to be pulled out, during which time he broke a finger.
In falling he threw the hammer he was using and it struck a horse owned by Charles Lindsey that was standing nearby. The animal, hitched to a wagon, took fright and ran away. While going down the river road the conveyance collided with an automobile belonging to E. George Dunkley, breaking the wagon and putting the car out of commission so that it had to be towed home by a pair of oxen. Just as the ox team was turning into Mr. Dunkley’s yard, the ox stepped into a post hole and broke his fore leg and had to be killed.
Scandal in our midst
After one of the most sensational trials heard in the Lake George courtroom in many years, Mrs. Minnie Drake of North Creek was convicted Tuesday, June 17, 1913 of keeping a disorderly house at that place. After the jury had deliberated on the evidence for 6 hours, Judge Raley imposed upon her a fine of $500. - The testimony in the case was extremely spicy and was listened to with great interest by many spectators who enjoy that kind of stuff.
The greater part of it was really unfit for a publication to print although it was indeed printed with very little pruning in the Glens Falls paper.
For those of our readers who wish to see its filth spread upon the pages of the Warrensburgh News we would say that we are pleased to disappoint them.
Mrs. Drake has for 2 or 3 years conducted the Wayside Inn, well described by that name, just above the village of North Creek and the testimony would indicate that there has been some high old times there. The conviction carries with it automatic forfeiture of the defendant’s liquor certificate and the place will undoubtedly be closed, a consummation to be devotedly hoped for by all decent people of the locality if only half of the evidence given at the trial was true.
Motorman drops dead
Just after completing work on Sunday night, June 8, 1913, Luther W. Cook, 50, a motorman on the Hudson Valley Railroad, dropped dead in Saratoga Springs on his way to the office of Dr. E.H. King for medical treatment. Coroner Small decided that death was caused by Valvular disease of the heart. The deceased frequently ran cars to Warrensburgh.
New road opens
The new state road between Warrensburgh and Lake George, which has been in course of construction for two years, was opened Saturday, June 28, 1913 by order of the state highway department. The road is not yet entirely completed but the top dressing will be applied while it is in use.
The road is pronounced by motorists one of the best in this section. The last 3 miles of the Chestertown road will be finished in about 10 days and a long stretch of improved highway will then be completed between Albany and Westport, Essex County.
Water wheel brings darkness
The electric lights in Warrensburgh gently faded away about 9 o’clock Saturday night, June 21, 1913 and left the town in darkness in the midst of its busy week-end activity. A break in the water wheel was the cause and dusty old oil lamps packed away in homes and stores were hastily brought out, cleaned up and put in commission.
New insurance building opens
The “Old and Tried” Glens Falls Insurance Company is now established in its magnificent new home at Monument Square, Glens Falls, having been completed on June 25, 1913. The removal of the equipment from the City Hall, where the temporary offices were maintained during the erection, has been completed.
In other news, former County Treasurer John Bazinet has purchased the Bijou movie theatre in Glens Falls.
Up, up and away
Several aeroplane flights will be given in Glens Falls in connection with the auction sale of lots on Sherman Avenue. The flights will be given by a licensed pilot of the Thomas Brothers Aeroplane Company in the afternoon of each day of the sale, June 18 to 21, 1913 inclusive. This is the first time that many people of this vicinity have had to see a flying machine in action.
Girl dies, town grieves
Miss Corabel Bissell, 26, daughter of Charles D. Bissell, died at the home of her parents on King Street, Warrensburgh. The deceased was a student of the Albany Normal College and was to graduate Monday, June 30, 1913 at the head of her class She had labored long and faithfully to reach her goal. About 3 weeks ago she was taken with typhoid fever. After being brought home she failed steadily until the end finally came.
Her funeral was held on Monday, the day she was to graduate which was also her birthday. Burial was in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Another tragic death occurred on King Street, June 11, 1913, when Elvira A. Fuller, 79, wife of M.H. Burt passed away after a week’s illness of cerebral pneumonia. She was stricken while alone in the house and was found by her husband, lying unconscious on the floor, when he returned home at a late hour.
Mrs. Burt was born in Goshen, Mass., Nov. 6, 1834. The couple had been married 52 years. The family came here from Glens Falls about 7 years ago. Besides her husband, she is survived by a son, John F. Burt. Burial was at the Bay Street Cemetery, Glens Falls.
We had a hard thunder storm here Sunday night, June 15, 1913 and the thunder and lightening was so heavy that it jangled the telephone bells in good shape all around town.
Mrs. Frank Cunningham of Lewisville (River Street) has blood poisoning in her right thumb caused by getting lead paint into a fresh wound.
Rev. G.D. Baker, former pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Johnsburgh, broke his arm while cranking his automobile.
There are 75 cases of red measles in Bolton Landing. Nathan Ingraham lost a fine cow. In Hague, Melvin Barton lost the best horse in his team. Carrie Lackey had a slight stroke of paralysis which has affected her speech.
James Van Arnum has a force of men building a reinforced cement bridge at Knowelhurst. Willis Fish of Igerna planted 7 and a half bushels of potato seed in one day.
The Waddell & Emerson Stage Company has just put on their Riverside - Schroon Lake route a 16 passenger Stanley Steamer automobile to run with their current stage.
Mrs. Edgar Barber, 54, a life long resident of Lake George, died Friday, May 30, 1913 at her home and was buried in the village cemetery there.
Mrs. Nora Dow has moved to Warrensburgh from Thurman to teach school on Harrington Hill beginning in September, 1913.
Frank Cameron of Sparks, Nevada and Miss Grace Harris of Athol, N.Y. were married May 20, 1913 in Nevada. Mr. Cameron was formerly a resident of Athol.
Grace Wilcox, daughter of Fred Wilcox, became the bride of Olief Jensen of Glens Falls on June 22, 1913 at the home of her parents in Bolton Landing.
An assortment of ladies dresses, all colors, are on sale for 75 cents each at Harry Lavine’s store in Warrensburgh. Choice dress calico is 3 cents a yard. Heavy grade boy’s khaki pants are 45 cents each and knee pants, made in the local pants factory, are 29 cents each.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.