•100 years ago - August, 1913•
Lady burned to death
Mrs. Anna Perry of Granville, who was badly burned at one of the camps on Lake George about 3 weeks ago, died at Glens Falls Hospital the morning of Aug. 2, 1913. She was working around an open fire when her skirts were blown into the blaze and ignited. She was taken to the hospital at once and was apparently improving until the day before her death.
Johnson family grieves death of child
The Henry Johnson family of Wevertown have the deepest sympathy of the entire community for the sad bereavement they have suffered in the death of their son, Leonard Ross, 11, who was killed in a most horrible manner and his younger brother, Barey, 9, had one leg broken and the other one was badly torn.
Little Barey was found sitting on the ground. He had taken his shoe off and was picking the pieces of bone and slivers from the tongue of the hay rake out of his leg. Both boys had been thrown over the front of the rake and under the horses feet, frightening the animals so that they ran away. (Note: The awful details of this horrific accident can be found in this column in the July 27, 2013 Journal.)
Centennial motion picture
Moving pictures of the Warren County Centennial, taken by the Glen Motion Picture Co. of Glens Falls are being shown this week at The World in Motion in that city.
Some of the films were made in Warrensburgh and show Justice Charles Evens Hughes, ex-Governor John A. Dix, Senator James A. Emerson and other notables, the soldiers and automobiles in the parade.
Rexford’s old time melody
At the Warren County Centennial Celebration, Senator James Emerson announced that by special request the old-time popular ballad, “Silver Threads Among the Gold,” would be sung. This delightful combination of melody and sentiment was written some 30 years ago by Eben Rexford, a native of the town of Johnsburgh, now of Shiocton, Mo., whose pen has also produced many other gems of melody. The several verses were feelingly rendered, without accompaniment, by Mrs. Harry Fisher.
Thurman Centennial marker
The unveiling of the Centennial marker in the town of Thurman on Historical Day of the County Celebration, Aug. 5, 1913 was accompanied by most interesting ceremonies which were successfully carried out under the direction of Supervisor Charles H. Baker.
The marker was placed on the Nathaniel Griffing farm on the site of the old Presbyterian Church which was built 107 years ago and was the first house of worship erected in the town. Eloquent addresses were made by the Hon. William M. Cameron, a native of the town, now of Glens Falls and Herman Metzner, also of Glens Falls. Vocal selections were rendered by Mrs. T.H. Smith and Mrs. Charles Hall before a large audience.
After the exercises, Henry Griffing of Warrensburgh opened the Griffing homestead next door and invited the people to inspect the historical treasures it contains, the original furniture, etc., which have been handed down in the family for more than a century, together with many other interesting relics of bygone days.
Henry Griffing, in accordance with his annual custom which he has followed for many years, is entertaining at the Nathaniel Griffing homestead during the month of August 1913, a house party comprised of his nearest relatives. (Note: Stephen Griffing and his wife, Elizabeth Uhle and their nine children settled March 1, 1800 in Thurman. Nathaniel Griffing was one of their sons. Their 240-acre farm and house, which still stands today, but not in its original position, was finished in 1804 and is across from present day Thurman railroad station. The Griffing cemetery is just a little south of the house on the high bank of the big turn that goes up into Athol. A substantial concrete wall was built around the cemetery by Henry Griffing and members of his immediate family who were rightfully proud of their ancestors.)
Horse tramples owner
James Harrington, who lives a couple of miles from Bakers Mills, was hurt quite badly July 24, 1913 while leading one of his horses. As he was about to pass through a gate the animal shied and jumped, throwing Mr. Harrington down into some stones with such force that it dislocated his shoulder and bruised him badly on the back and shoulders. Dr. Lee Somerville attended to him.
Adirondack Garage thrives
Tim Lynch, proprietor of the Adirondack Garage has sold a new Ford Touring car to W.H. Straight, making Straight the latest member of the Warrensburgh Automobile Club.
Lynch will also hereafter conduct a bicycle repair department in connection with his business, having bought the outfit of Alonzo H. Sherman who closed his establishment in the Harris Block recently. (Note: Alonzo Sherman was the father of Francis “Red” Sherman, who ran a motorcycle shop next to the Warrensburgh Cemetery at the family homestead on Hudson St. Frank died last fall.)
Cunningham establishes dental office
The Cunningham office building at the corner of Main and School (now Stewart Farrar) streets is being thoroughly overhauled and many improvements are being made preparatory to its occupancy as an office by Dr. Arthur Cunningham who graduated last June (1912) from the dental department of the University of Pennsylvania. (Note: This small building was about where Stewart’s eight gas pumps are located today, next door to the historic Cunningham house that was later torn down, despite the efforts of community activist Teresa Whalen, as well as members of the Beautification Committee and the Warrensburgh Historical Society. Many years ago the late Mrs. Gilbert (Judy) Potter bought the small dental office building and had it moved to the corner of Library and Milton Avenue where it stands today, converted and enlarged into a lovely home.)
Cat got the last word
“Ben,” a valuable and much loved collie dog owned by Frank Cunningham, was killed by an automobile on Main Street downtown on a Wednesday evening. Ben, usually sedate and a model of canine good nature, fell victim to his natural antipathy for cats. He was on the sidewalk near Will Smith’s store when a cat ran across the street and Ben made a dash for her. Pussy escaped but the dog reached the center of the street just in time to be caught under the forward wheels of an approaching automobile. His head was crushed and death was instantaneous.
Ernest Millington of Riparius and Miss Kate Moore of Wevertown were married recently at Wevertown. They are residing with Mr. Millington’s parents at Riparius.
Floyd Moore of Lake George and Miss Lillian Marsha of Riparius were married at North Creek Monday, Aug. 11, 1913 and after a few days sojourn, will go to Lake George to reside.
Sunday, Aug. 17 and Monday, Aug. 18, 1913 the thermometer registered 89 and 92 degrees in Bakers Mills.
The trial of James Patterson for the alleged murder of his brother last spring is now in progress before Justice Borst in the Supreme Court in Elizabethtown.
Hiram E. Frost, 63, died the night of Aug. 2, 1913 at his home in Thurman.
Mrs. Charles Buyce died of consumption at Knowelhurst, Stony Creek, at the home of her father, Charles Van Dusen. She is survived by her husband, her parents and 3 little girls.
Bears are becoming numerous in West Bolton. While picking berries, Mrs. Orlin Pratt saw one and a day or two later Walter Pratt caught a glimpse of two near the pond.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.