100 Years Ago - February 1913
Glens Falls legend dies
Henry Crandall, 92, the grand old man of Glens Falls, widely known as a philanthropist and beloved by all who enjoyed his acquaintance, died the morning of Feb. 19, 1913 at his home in Crandall Place, Monument Square. (Note: The traditional entrance of Crandall Public Library faces a park where Henry Crandall’s house used to be. On the left, his carriage house still exists now along the north side of Maple St.) Crandall expressed a desire to live until his 92nd birthday and that wish was granted him as of Feb. 13, 1913. He left a record of many noble deeds for the benefit of his fellow men.
About two weeks ago, he had a slight shock of paralysis, later followed by attacks of greater severity which left him in a hopeless condition. Unable to eat he became unconscious and remained in that condition until he died. His only surviving relative is his wife of 54 years, the former Betsey “Hattie“Waters, 80, of Horicon. They were a well-mated couple who lived happily together until death separated them.
Henry Crandall was born in 1821 at East Lake George in the town of Caldwell. In a common country district school, which he had to be away from more than less because of hard work he was obliged to perform on the family farm, he did succeed in acquiring an education which stood him well in hand when he entered the business world. When he was but a small boy he left home to work 10 months in the hills for a compensation of $11 to $13 dollars per month. He was determined to become successful in the business world and saved his money judiciously until at age 31 he had accumulated the sum of $1,000. Before and during the Civil War his money was invested successfully with John J. Harris and a man named Finch in a lumber tract in the Boreas River section of the Adirondacks. He became a leading lumber baron and retired after the war a wealthy man.
In 1850, he decided to be a resident of Glens Falls and has lived there continuously since that time. He was a faithful Episcopalian. He became a large real estate holder in this city that he grew to love. Around 1883 he bought the land now known as Crandall Park on upper Glen St. and spent nearly $30,000 in purchasing, irrigating, grading and improving the property, the free use of which was given to the city of Glens Falls and will forever be known and used as a public park by the city. A smaller park in the rear of the Crandall home, on Maple St,, was also opened for public use.
On a knoll situated near the center of beautiful Crandall Park on upper Glen St. stands an imposing marble shaft, surmounted by a golden five-pointed star and in the base are two compartments, one of which will contain his remains, marked with the initials “H.C.” and the other will contain the remains of his spouse, marked only as “wife,” when it is her time to be laid to rest. The star is emblematic of the mark used by Mr. Crandall while engaged in the lumbering business.
Henry Crandall’s whole life was spent in doing good and he has laid up treasures in Heaven which he will now enjoy. It is expected that all business places in Glens Falls will close during the hour of the funeral.
(Note: On May 30, 1872 the Glens Falls Soldier’s Civil War monument was dedicated on the little island at the intersection of Glen, Bay and South streets in front of the Crandall home. In 1882 the Town Board appropriated $75 to keep the monument in repair and Henry Crandall was given the job of caring for it. He did this faithfully until at age 91, he said he was no longer able to do the job. That year, however, there was a movement by the Common Council to relocate the monument because it was deemed a traffic hazard and Crandall opposed the idea. He won his battle and the monument still stands today at its original site. On Feb. 22, 1913 Henry Crandall’s remains were encased in a copper casket at the base of the 40-foot marble shaft in Crandall Park. There is a rumor that his two favorite white horses are buried in front of the monument.)
New factory to open
William I. Garnar of Luzerne has rented his factory in Hadley, formerly run by the Adirondack Novelty Co., to a firm which will manufacture toothpicks. The business will start on May 1, 1913 and employ about 25 people.
New car, happy doctor
Dr. M.D. Smith happily appeared on the city streets with his new five-passenger Carter touring car, which he purchased from M.J. Gray at the Glens Falls Automobile Co. The machine is a 1913 model, has a self-starter and is equipped by electric lights and friction drive, the latter eliminating all gears.
Edgecomb Pond fire
Jamon McDonald’s house on the shore of Edgecomb Pond in the town of Bolton, caught fire on Sunday afternoon and was considerably damaged before the flames were extinguished by a bucket brigade composed of neighbors who promptly responded to an alarm. The blaze, which started in an upper story, was probably caused by an overheated stovepipe or a defective chimney. Mr. McDonald and Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Burch, who live with him, are at present staying at the home of F.G. Palmer.
Hotel man buys farm
Harry Bolton has bought William H. Swan’s farm, formerly known as the Truman Everts place, on the river road some distance above the Warrensburgh County Home. There is about 200 acres of fertile land, much of it heavily timbered. The purchase price is understood to be about $5,000. The farm is considered to be one of the best in this section. Mr. Bolton, who retired from the hotel business last fall, has moved into his new farmhouse.
Death in the news
Mrs. Levi Morehouse of Sodom died. Her daughter, Mrs. Charles Dewey was with her when she expired. Until 1906, she resided in Chestertown.
Porter Stone, 69, died Feb. 4, 1913 after a short illness of pneumonia. A veteran of the Civil War, he moved to Stony Creek around 1873. He was a faithful member of the Methodist Church at Lens Lake. He left a widow, two daughters and two sons, William and Floyd Stone, all of Stony Creek.
The new restaurant, Jack’s Oyster House, opened on Jan. 23, 1913 in Albany and is enjoying much popularity. (Note: Now, 100 years later, it is still going strong.)
Seneca Ray Stoddard’s illustrated Adirondack guidebook, published in 1873, has been revised and reprinted and is still currently a best seller. (Note; Stoddard, a Glens Falls resident, died at his home there, April 26, 1917, but his legend lives on.)
A new little son, Paul Burch was born to Mrs. Harry Burch in Athol. Myron Green of Johnsburgh has had a telephone placed in his house. Mrs. L.H. Aldrich and daughter, Pauline from Stony Creek have spent this winter boarding in Warrensburgh.
Extensive improvements are being made to the dining room of the Adirondack Hotel in Warrensburgh. The ceiling is being lowered with beaver board and the side walls with burlap. H.H. Hill furnished the material while George and Walter Hill and Stillman Towne are doing the work. (Note: This hotel stood where Rite Aid pharmacy is located now. Decades ago, the town planning board asked the developers to build the pharmacy to resemble the hotel’s architecture, and they did so, creating one of the first Rite Aid buildings in the northeastern U.S. to reflect the local historic architecture. Delbert Chambers and other members of the Warrensburgh Historical Society made the successful plea for the historic appearance.)
Thought for the day: “Old age as it comes in the orderly process of nature is a beautiful and majestic thing.” (Note: this is hilarious. It must have been penned by someone young and naïve or someone who enjoyed reading numerous dusty old magazines in the doctor’s office.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.