100 Years Ago - October 1912
Politics end in death
James Schoolcraft Sherman, Vice-President of the U.S. and candidate for re-election on the Republican ticket, died at his home in Utica, Oct. 30, 1912 of Bright’s disease, heart disease and hardening of the arteries. He was in a coma when he died.
The deceased was an intimate friend of the Hon. Louis W. Emerson of Warrensburgh and he visited his friend here four years ago and gave a noon-time address on the piazza at the Adirondack Hotel (Note…now Rite-Aid location).
A beautiful floral piece, made by Sheridan E. Prosser, the Warrensburgh florist, was sent by the Hon. L.W. and Senator James A. Emerson for the funeral of their late friend, Vice-President Sherman, which was held Nov. 1, 1912 in Utica.
In other news, bonfires on Main Street, uptown and downtown on election night, surrounded by crowds of cheering boys, were lighted by youngsters to celebrate the glorious victory of Senator James A. Emerson, whose son, Albert is a leader among them and is as popular with his associates as his distinguished sire is with their fathers. (Note…Albert Emerson was lovely man, kind and thoughtful, who worked hard to carry on the proud tradition of his illustrious family. His portrait hangs in the Emerson Town Hall his money built, looking down at the courtroom proceedings with a thoughtful, amused expression, that I think says, “Look what fools these mortals be!”)
Music Hall rally
The Warrensburgh Cadet Band, organized in the spring of this year, made its first appearance in public Tuesday evening, Oct. 29, 1912 when it was engaged to play for the Progressive political party rally at Music Hall. A street parade was made before the meeting. The band played exceedingly well considering the short time it has been in practice. Many of the members are beginners and George E. Farrar is their leader. (Note…The first Progressive Party in 1912 was formed by dissident Republicans. They became known as the Bull Moose Party and unsuccessfully backed Teddy Roosevelt for president in that year even though they drew over 4 million votes.)
Taken for a ride
A Ford automobile owned by Mr. Colby and driven by Morton Bissell of Newcomb, while crossing the Delaware and Hudson company’s railroad tracks at North Creek at the railroad bridge crossing, was run down by a northbound freight train, carried several rods up the track and thrown to one side a total wreck.
The chauffeur, who was the sole occupant of the machine, was thrown from his seat by the impact and landed on the pilot of the engine. He was carried some distance before he fell off. He was taken to the office of Dr. Lee Somerville in an unconscious condition and it was feared that he was seriously injured. A careful examination showed that he was only severely bruised.
Bissell was on his way to Minerva and was in great haste to get there. The machine was acting badly and he was giving it so much attention that he failed to notice the approach of the train. No blame was attached to Engineer Johnson nor Conductor Whitaker and they did everything possible to avoid the accident.
Man buys dream car
R.E. Burger will soon be the owner of the fastest car that tears up the landscape in this part of the country, having placed an order with the Simplex concern for a four-passenger Tourabout, 90 H.P., with a guaranteed mileage of 120 miles per hour. With a view to luxury, his car will have a body of the improved Vanderbilt type, upholstered as liberally as a Turkish chair with trimmings of Spanish leather. Mr. Burger threatens to annihilate all previous speed records.
Lake George Club
Various reports of the Lake George Club, at Hill view (later named Diamond Point), shows the club to be in flourishing condition. During the past year a dormitory has been erected at a cost of $5,000 which will be used for the use of the superintendent and others. The golf links have been greatly improved and were in fine shape for the recent President’s Cup tournament.
Officers recently elected are President, W.K. Bixby, Vice-President Antonio Knauth, Treasurer L.F. Hyde, Secretary, and H.W. Guernsey. Among those who have been re-elected to the board of directors are F.T. Gates, H.W. Hayden and Maurice Hoopes.
Name in dispute
The matter of changing the name of Lake George Village is again being agitated. Down the lake people object to the incorporated name of “Lake George” for the village at the head of the lake on the grounds that the citizens in taking it are audacious, extremely selfish and have worked to the detriment of the other villages and hamlets on the lake. They argue that there is but one Lake George and that should cover the lake in its entirety. (Note…Since its inception the village was originally called “Caldwell” after its founder, James Caldwell, who in 1787 purchased the original patent.)
Season comes to a close
The Echo Lake Farm House, delightfully situated near the shore of Echo Lake (Note…now on the present day Fish Hatchery road end of the lake.) on a hilltop commanding a fine view of the Hudson River in a beautiful grove, is one of the most popular boarding houses in Warrensburgh or vicinity. It is conducted by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Noble. The season has drawn to a close and has been one of the most successful the house has ever known. (Note…In a span of 100 years, the trees have grown up to a point that the river can no longer be seen.)
“All the unrest now pervading this country is due to its excessive prosperity. The workingmen all have good jobs and tremendous wages and they want still better jobs and higher wages.”
(Note…Time to save money! There is a big World War looming just over the horizon.)
Landlord Alfred C. Stone, of the Grand Army House, installed a steam heating plant in his hotel for the comfort of his guests in the coming cold weather. He has made many improvements since he purchased the hotel about a year ago and restored the house to its old time popularity. (Note…George Henry’s Tavern today stands on the site of the Grand Army house which burned many years ago when it was known as the Warren Inn.)
The $55 Acorn range advertised recently to be sold by D.E. Pasco to the highest bidder was purchased by John VanAuken of Warrensburgh for $40.25. About 20 bids were received.
This month at Haskell’s store in the Will’s block on Hudson Street, a big can of tomatoes is 10 cents, Lenox soap is 7 bars for 25 cents and a full pound of cocoa is on sale for 23 cents.
Mrs. Elva Thissell has resigned her position as chief operator of the Commercial Union Telephone Company’s local exchange to take affect at once. She has filled the position for 8 years.
One of R.B. Kenyon’s stage horses, the best one of the team, died at Lake George on Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 29, 1912 after reaching that place on the return trip from Glens Falls. The animal was only sick for about an hour.
Antoini Lucia, formerly of Warrensburgh, but later of Randolph, Vt., has leased the Everts Hotel in Athol and is now conducting the house.
Robert Goodfellow and Miss Cora Warren, both of Warrensburgh, were married by the Rev. S.C. Fox on Tuesday, Oct. 15, 1912 at his home, Fairview Cottage. (Note…Rev. Fox’s home was at the top of Herrick Avenue hill, looking down on the Schroon River.)
Miles Culver of Starbuckville is driving team for E.E. Valentine.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.