Thurman station burglarized
The Delaware and Hudson railroad station at Thurman was burglarized the Saturday night Sept. 21, 1912 and $26, mostly in silver, was stolen. “Dick” Baker, a well known Thurman character, was arrested Monday for the crime and he is now in the county jail at Lake George to await the action of the Grand Jury.
Station agent L.T. Spencer, contrary to his usual custom, left the change he had on hand in the station on Saturday night. He went after it Sunday morning and found it gone. A broken window with a ladder leaning against the building on the outside showed where the thief had entered.
Baker went into a store in Thurman on Sunday to make a purchase and boastfully exhibited considerable silver money. Learning of this Spencer prompted his arrest.
Sheriff Smith and a D.&H. detective took him in charge and to them he confessed the crime. He was charged with burglary in the third degree. Dick Baker, about 30 , has served one term in Dannemora Prison for the same crime.
Hotels engulfed in flames
one of the most popular summer hotels in the region, the Friends Lake House, near Chestertown, was destroyed by fire Saturday afternoon, Sept. 21, 1912. The property, owned and conducted by Daniel J. Murphy, was valued at $10,000 and insured for $3,500.
The fire broke out at 3 p.m. in a room in the second story of the building and spread rapidly. The neighbors quickly rallied to the rescue and joined the hotel force in fighting the flames but with little effect. The Chestertown Fire Department rushed in their chemical engine as soon as possible but arrived too late to be of any use. Twelve hotel guests got out safely but little of the hotel furnishings was saved.
The house had accommodations for 100 guests and was in the process of closing up a very successful season. The hotel will be rebuilt this winter in time for the opening of the 1913 season.
Yet another blaze occurred at the Agawam, a summer hotel at Diamond Point owned by Warren Middleworth of Hudson Falls. It was destroyed by fire the night of Sept. 30, 1912, entailing a loss of $15,000. Part of the furniture was saved and when help arrived the heat was so intense that nobody could enter the building. The only occupants at the time of the fire were Mr. and Mrs. Middleworth and their son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Middleworth, visiting from California. There are no plans to rebuild the hotel.
In other hotel news, the Hotel Uncas, a popular summer resort near Silver Bay on Lake George, was sold recently to Dr. James Burtt of New York City who will make extensive improvements.
Japanese duo’s double suicide
The double funeral of General Count Maresuke Nogi, Supreme Military Councilor of Japan and his wife, the Countess Nogi, was held with impressive ceremonies at the Aoyama Cemetery in the presence of enormous crowds.
The Count and Countess had ended their lives by stabbing themselves with a sword on the night of Sept. 13, 1912 as the body of the late Emperor Mutsuhito passed out of Tokyo on its way to the imperial tomb at Momoyama. The body of Japan’s great war general was borne on a gun carriage while the casket containing the body of the Countess was in a hearse.
Teetotaler sounds off
It is a well-known fact that the drinking of intoxicating liquors is responsible for a large percentage of the crime committed in our land and is the direct cause of the broken hearts of thousands of wives and mothers — besides figuring largely as a factor in our divorce courts and absolutely wrecking the lives of multitudes of men. We should surely not believe that Jesus Christ, were He on earth today, would advocate the placing of intoxicants within convenient and easy reach of the people whom he died to save. How can we pray “Lead Us Not Into Temptation” while by our own volition we make it practically impossible for many of our fellow men to resist temptation? — Pastor Frank M. LaMar, Minerva.
Little boy gone to Heaven
James Gerald McCloskey, 2 , died Sept. 14, 1912 at Schroon Lake after an illness of only a few days. He was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. James P. McCloskey and was of a bright, loving disposition who won the hearts of all who knew him. So full of happiness and sunshine, he will long be remembered by all who had ever met the cheery little fellow.
The small white casket was covered with many wreaths and bouquets of flowers from the many friends of his family and in his hand were a few of the wild flowers little Gerald had been especially fond of in his short life. He was buried Sept. 16, 1912 in the family plot at Schroon Lake. “Asleep in Jesus, blessed sleep, from which none ever wake to weep.”
Citizen passes away
William Needham, 57, died after several weeks duration of an illness of liver and heart trouble on the morning of Sept. 26, 1912 at 5 o’clock at his home on Hoag Avenue, Warrensburgh. He leaves a widow and one son, Orlin (“Orlie”) Needham of Thurman, three brothers, Leroy, Clarence and Charles Needham, and three sisters, Mrs. Orrin Perkins, Mrs. John Corbett and Mrs. William Mosher.
Looking backward from 1912
It was just 125 years ago today, on Sept. 29, 1787 that the Caldwell (now Lake George) patent was granted. (Note: James Caldwell, an Albany merchant, purchased the patent from Udney Hay for 1,595 acres at the southwestern end of Lake George which made him at that time the area’s chief landowner. By 1810 he owned 7,000 acres covering most of the land at the head of Lake George. He died in 1829.) It was 38 years ago, Sept. 26, 1874 that the cornerstone of the Sacred Heart Church in Lake George was laid.
The Democratic State Convention in session at Syracuse nominated William Sulzer, representative in Congress from New York City, for governor and Martin H. Glynn of Albany for Lieutenant governor. Present governor John A. Dix was turned down for re-election.
A petition asking for the appointment of a committee to examine into the competency of Ella Flansburgh of the Town of Thurman was granted by County Judge George S. Raley at a session of County Court.
Harry Floyd and Miss Julia Haff, both of Adirondack, were married by the Rev. L.T. Cole on Sept. 18, 1912 at the Methodist Episcopal Church in Chestertown.
Mrs. John Ferris died at her home in North Chester after an illness of several months, during which she bore her sufferings with rare patience and fortitude. She is survived by her husband whose faithful companion she has been for many long years.
C.H. Glassbrook, proprietor of the Warrensburgh-Chestertown stage line, has purchased an automobile stage for his route, a 16-passenger Stanley Steamer, exactly like the one on the Warrensburgh-Thurman route. It will make two trips daily.
Mrs. Lawrence Pratt and Mrs. Thomas Maloney picked in a field near the McGann farm on Horicon Avenue, Warrensburgh enough raspberries to make them each a pie. This is remarkable for this time of year.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.