Aerial stunt turns tragic
In full view of 20,000 persons gathered in Hillside Park near Bellville, N.J., Tom Moore, who has executed parachute drops at the park for five seasons, fell from the bar of his parachute and was dashed to death 1,200 feet below.
He had been sitting on the bar of the parachute and lost his balance. Before the ascent he had refused to put on a life belt and laughed saying it wasn’t necessary. He then pitched backward from the bar and fell headlong. Tom Moore, 25, was unmarried.
Welsh singer performs here
Griffith Hughes of New York, known as the Welch baritone, is making his first visit to Warrensburgh and is staying at the Warren House. Hughes is a soloist in one of the largest Fifth Avenue churches. Hughes has studied abroad with Jean de Reske, the famous operatic tenor and Madame Lili Lehman, the great Wagnerian soprano.
Hughes has been engaged to sing two solos July 7, 1912 at Christ Church, Methodist Episcopal, in Glens Falls. (Note…Lili Lehman, 81, one of the greatest sopranos of her day, died in 1929 having a repertory of 170 roles. The popular Warren House hotel once stood across Main St. from today’s Ray’s Liquor Store.)
Little kids, big trouble
A little son of Ray Prouty, of Sodom, secured possession of a can about half full of kerosene oil and drank quite a quantity of it. Some of it went up his nose and nearly strangled him and the nauseous dose made him ill, but he is now rapidly recovering from its effects.
In other news, Mr. and Mrs. Ulrie Van Dusen, of Warrensburgh, moved from one house to another in Lewisville (River St.) and in the confusion of settling in their new home their little daughter secured a small bottle of carbolic acid which was used as a disinfectant and climbing on the bed pulled out the cork, spilling some of the contents on her hands and in the bed. The little girl was badly burned as was also her parents when they later retired for the night. (Note: The Van Dusen family was one of the several families who lost their homes in the June 3, 1912 fire that devastated Lewisville, which was recounted in the June 9, 2012 Adirondack Journal.)
Boy dies, unable to swim
Walter Cohn, 18, was drowned in Long Lake Wednesday, July 10, 1912 while learning to swim. Young Cohn wore a pair of water wings to support him and when one of them loosened, he was unable to stay afloat and sunk to a watery grave.
Water famine threatens village
There is going to be some trouble in Warrensburgh. The regular summer drought, which began several weeks ago has almost dried up the sources of supply of the village water and the reservoir on Harrington Hill is rapidly becoming empty.
There has been no apparent effort at economy on the part of citizens as sprinkling is done at all hours of the day and lawn sprinklers are allowed to run all night. Such a reckless waste of water is foolish, to say the least.
Some people perhaps do not know that the supply is limited and others act as though they are afraid that they won’t get their share. Do not be wasteful and above all do not be hoggish and make mud puddles in the street just for the fun of it.
Prominent people, high society
A large number of prominent Republican politicians, including the Hon. Lewis W. Emerson of Warrensburgh, attended a lavish house party at Mountain Park, the Dannemora summer home of Warren County leader, Hon. C.V. Collins of Troy. The majority of the party traveled to Dannemora in two railroad cars.
Sen. and Mrs. James A. Emerson entertained at the Leland House, Schroon Lake, with a Fourth of July party composed of Mrs. John L. Russell, her son, William H. Russell and her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Prentiss Burlingham of Bonnie Brae Villa, Warrensburgh. With them were Mrs. Harte Joseph and Bertha Weinman. The party went by automobile and remained until Saturday when they motored to Ticonderoga.
Sir William and Lady Van Horne of Toronto, Canada passed through Warrensburgh in an automobile on their way from Saratoga Springs to Schroon Lake where they are currently staying at the Leland House. (Note: James and his brother, Lewis Emerson of Warrensburgh, were the owners of the Leland House. Bonnie Brae Villa, just off Raymond Lane, was Mrs. Mary Russell’s summer home as she lived in Troy. Bonnie Brae burned 32 years ago. Mrs. Bertha Weinman and Mrs. Harte Joseph were the wife and daughter of former Warrensburgh Supervisor Louis Weinman who served until 1907.)
Dillon barn catches fire
Fire broke out in a barn on the Dillon farm in Wevertown on the morning of July 2, 1912 and an alarm was sounded. There was a general response but the blaze was extinguished by John Johnston, the nearest neighbor, before the bucket brigade reached the place. The farm is owned by T.J. Murphy and occupied by Charles N. Baker.
The Republican National Convention in Chicago, on June 22, 1912, nominated President William Howard Taft and Vice President James Sherman for second terms of office. (Note: Sherman died just a few days before the election and Taft lost to Woodrow Wilson.)
Because of intense heat, the weather bureau announced that July 7, 1912 was the hottest July 7th in 20 years. A band of gypsies with 16 horses, on July 17, 1912, visited Stony Creek.
Dennis Weaver, driver for Dr. J.M. Griffin and his gardener, reports that cucumbers of good size were picked Monday, July 15, 1912 and served at the good Doctor’s table.
Fresh liver is 4 pounds for 25 cents this week at Dickinson’s Market, fresh fish is 6 cents and steak is 17 cents a pound.
Mrs. Agnes Hewitt has returned from a trip to Egypt and is now at Erlowest, her Lake George home. LeGrand C. Cramer and family arrived at Trinity Rock, their summer home in Diamond Point, for the season.
Jesse Cooper of Diamond Point lost another horse recently now making a pair. It’s pretty hard for a poor man to get ahead that way.
A little son, William Peter Ross was born at the home of William Ross in Sodom.
Arthur I. Russell, a graduate of Warrensburgh High School, won the competitive examination held in Glens Falls for a scholarship to Cornell University.
Alex Smith, electrician for the Warrensburgh Electric Light Works, who had the thumb of his right hand badly burned by a live wire at the recent fire in Lewisville, went to Albany to have the member amputated. The nerves were so badly injured and the flesh lacerated to such an extent that it was impossible to save. (Note: The story of the big fire and electrical mishap was told in the June 9, 2012 Adirondack Journal.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.