Baby boy Allison Mark Langworthy, born Jan. 24, 2012, survived that year’s cold winter in a cozy box in the family’s kitchen stove at their home on River St. in Warrensburgh. He’s the grandfather of Allison Apple, who still lives in town on Hudson St. with her husband Thomas and several of their children.
Despondent woman takes her life
The people of Bolton Landing were greatly shocked on the morning of March 6, 1912 to learn of the tragic death of Mrs. William Cole, who during the night had ended her life by opening an artery in her left arm with a razor and allowing herself to slowly bleed to death. Life was extinct when she was found at eight o’clock in the morning by her father, Asa Granger, with whom she had made her home. Coroner Rogers ruled that the death was clearly a case of premeditated suicide.
Mrs. Cole was about 50 years of age and during the past 17 years, some people said she had suffered spells of temporary insanity. Owing to domestic troubles, her husband left her about nine years ago and since that time she had grieved constantly which greatly aggravated her mental condition. She had many good qualities which won her a large circle of friends who deeply regret the sad ending of her life. Besides her father, she is survived by a daughter, Gladys Cole. Her husband’s whereabouts are unknown. She was buried in the Huddle Cemetery.
Local explorer believed safe
A press dispatch from New York, dated March 8, 1912, states that Harry V. Radford, the arctic explorer and fellow of the American Geographical Society, who at one time was a resident of North Creek and left there in 1909 for four years exploration of Northern Canada, is reported forsaken by his guides in the barren lands of the northern end of Hudson Bay, 500 miles inland and it was believed that he was left without provisions. However, a late dispatch from Ottawa, Canada states it is believed there that the report is incorrect. A letter from T.G. Street, Radford’s companion, recently stated that it had been arranged for guides to turn back after the first stage of the northern journey and it is thought that the Indians leaving the men was only part of the pre-arranged plan.
Plank road sold to Warren County
On March 6, 1912, the Warren County Board of Supervisors in session at Lake George, adopted a resolution introduced by Supervisor E.J. Worden of Caldwell, appropriating $6,000 for the purchase of the Lake George-Warrensburgh Plank Road Co. and all rights and titles and other claims to the road of that entity. In consideration of the payment of $6,000 by the county treasurer, John Bazinet, the county acquires all rights, privileges and titles in the road and is relieved of all claims against the Plank Road Company. Supervisor Patterson of Glens Falls cast the only opposing vote.
(Note…The plank road consisted of heavy boards laid crossways on timbers over a graded surface. A plank road was originally laid from Glens Falls to Lake George in 1848 by a stock company and the section from Lake George to Warrensburgh was laid in 1849 and later on in 1850 the road was extended “through the wilderness” from Warrensburgh to Chestertown. Weather raised havoc on those early roads. It was a rough but essential way to travel in the Adirondack’s frontier days. At the turn of the century with the advent of automobiles, better roads became a necessity and Warrensburgh’s Senator James Emerson used his power to advance them.)
Supervisor controversy ended
The town board of Hague, as was anticipated, has appointed Richard J. Bolton supervisor, thus ending a heated controversy brewing since the election last fall. Mr. Bolton, a Republican, who had held the office two terms, was a candidate for re-election last September against Bernard A. Clifton, a Democrat. Clifton was elected by four votes but was forced to be disqualified from holding the office because of the fact that he was a school trustee at the time he was elected supervisor.
A lengthy dispute between the politicians of the town than ensued and the town board refused to make an appointment for some time as the members were divided between Clifton and Bolton. The matter finally came to a vote on March 16, 1912 when Bolton was finally re-appointed as supervisor by a vote of three to two votes by the town board.
(Today, Hague has yet again a new supervisor. She is Edna Frasier, who took over the office from Dan Belden, who has been prominent in Hague town politics since 1971. Frasier was featured in the Feb. 4, 2012 edition of the Adirondack Journal. She is the sister of Eileen Frasier, owner of Seasons Bed & Breakfast in Warrensburgh. Also, note the controversy created when a politician holds a position on the school and town boards. In November, Warrensburg voters elected Linda Baker Marcella to the town board although she has been a member of the Warrensburg Central school board for years.)
Stork leaves little bundle
A baby boy, Allison Mark Langworthy, was born Jan. 24, 1912 to Frederick and Susan O’Leary Langworthy on River St. in Warrensburgh. The boy, who weighs only three and a half pounds, is the grandson of Lewis Langworthy. (Note: The baby was so small that he was kept in a box inside the oven of the kitchen stove to keep him warm. He was born in the house that is today immediately next door west of Spirits Tavern, called the Wayside Hotel in those days. He died in 1971. His daughter, Linda Apple, wife of Thomas Apple, lives today with her family at 49 Hudson St., Warrensburg.)
Minister heeds call
The Rev. Thomas O. Grieves, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Greenwich, has accepted a call to the Free Methodist Church at Lockport effective after the upcoming meeting of the Troy Conference. Rev. Grieves is well-known in this locality as an able preacher, sweet singer and firm temperance advocate.
(Note: The tragic story of Rev. Grieves and 8-year-old Mary McGinn, whom he accidentally ran over and killed in 1911 in Saratoga Springs with his powerful touring car, was told in this column in the May 21 and July 30, 2011 issue of the Adirondack Journal. This good man was inconsolable in his grief and sold his automobile, his cottage at Riverside campgrounds and all else he owned to raise $1,000 to compensate Mary’s bereaved family.)
The state Department of Highways has sent a corps of its engineers, twelve in number, to Warrensburgh to survey the route for the new road between Warrensburgh and Thurman Station. The men are now at work and the new road is expected to be completed this year.
Wanted: J.P. Baumann & Sons have opened a branch shop in the shirt factory building and want operators on ladies’ house dresses. Steady work and good pay. Inquire of Nelson DuFresne at the factory. (Note: The shirt factory, beautifully renovated by Mark and Tom Grace, now hosts Lizzie Keays Restaurant, The Plaza Salon and River Street Athletic Club and various other businesses at River Street Plaza.)
A big revival meeting was held at the Byrnes schoolhouse in Igerna on March 17, 1912 conducted by Rev. William H. Morrissey. In Riparius, the stork visited the home of Walter Galusha March 9, 1912 and left twin sons, Alfred and Albert Galusha.
Harry Baldwin is building an ice house at Friends Lake. Truman Bills of South Johnsburgh is working in Wevertown with the ice harvesters. Ice 18 inches thick is being cut from the Dunn mill pond.
Captain A.A. Ross traveled on snow shoes from Brant Lake to Adirondack March 8, 1912 to spend the day with the Smith Barton family.
The new skating rink on Hudson St. in Warrensburgh is in excellent condition and is enjoyed by many happy local skaters.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.