Construction worker killed
Charles Flynn, 22, of Corinth, a workman in the employ of Warren Curtis Jr., in the construction of the new Corinth dam across the Hudson River, was killed the afternoon of March 6, 1912 by being pinned between a wheel of a wagon which he, with five others, was loading with sand and a five-ton piece of frozen sand and stones, which suddenly detached itself from the bank where they were working. Work was being rushed on the dam in an effort to complete it before the spring freshets set in.
The body was horrible mangled by the impact and the injured man lived only 15 minutes.
Corinth dam brings power
With the completion of the Corinth dam in the near future, flooding a large area of land from Corinth to Luzerne and far up the Sacandaga River, power will be furnished for a large pulp and paper mill.
Also, thousands of dollars will be expended in building homes for the paper men who will be brought to that section.
On the Luzerne side of the river a large and up-to-date electric plant will be erected to furnish light and power for the villages of Corinth and Luzerne.
In other Corinth news, a petition bearing the signatures of 20 freeholders of the village asking for the extension of the corporation line of the village in an easterly direction was presented Feb. 28, 1912 to the board of village trustees.
Weather madness experienced
One day recently a young man passed through Chestertown driving two dogs hitched to a sleigh. With all the cold and snow and seeing the fur-clad driver and the dog team, a person standing on the street could easily imagine himself to be in the Klondike.
Washington’s birthday anniversary on Feb. 22, 1912 will be remembered because of the great variety of weather. The day began with a snowstorm which turned into rain, accompanied by thunder and lightening - a regular summer-type shower which again changed to snow and a heavy wind. The day ended with a small blizzard. On Feb. 26, 1912, 12 and a half inches fell on Bakers Mills.
It was indeed a day to sit by the coal fire, dream about spring and peruse the blooming catalogue of seeds which is found in nearly every home these days which is prepared to cater to the needs of those ambitious men who think to raise the vegetables and gather greens that look just like the pictures that adorn the pages of the book.
Tuesday, March 12, 1912 will be the 24th anniversary of the Great Blizzard of 1888, which is remembered by the older inhabitants as “some storm.” Nobody living ever knew of such a storm, either before or since.
Warrensburgh’s elite auto club
A carload of Buick automobiles, shipped direct from the factory at Flint, Mich. to Miller Brothers of Glens Falls, arrived March 5, 1912 at the local freight station. Some of these have already been purchased by local enthusiasts and the remainder is on display downtown.
In Warrensburgh, G.W. Dickinson has sold his four-passenger Buick tonneau to S.E. Johnson and has purchased a five-passenger touring car of the same make. Mrs. L.W. Emerson has purchased a five-passenger Overland touring car. Thomas J. Smith and Frank W. Smith have each disposed of their automobiles and will appear this season with a Cadillac touring car and a Cadillac torpedo car, respectively.
J.K. Heffron will make his debut in automobile circles behind a 35 horsepower Buick roadster and John J. Smith has qualified for full membership by the purchase of an Overland roadster. He asserts, however, that he will buy a “real car” as soon as he becomes accustomed to the mechanism of “the beast.”
Griffing genealogy published
Henry Griffing, after years of research and arduous effort, has had the great pleasure of seeing published a complete genealogy of the Griffing family under the title, “Stephen Griffing, His Ancestory and Descendants.” The work was completed by Mrs. Edith Willoughby West of Glens Falls and was printed by Bullard Press of that city. The volume contains many photographs and was designed as a memorial to early Thurman settler, Stephen Griffing, Henry Griffing’s grandfather, with a detailed record of his ancestry and descendants listing 581 members of the family.
The record begins with Jasper Griffing, born in Wales in 1648 who emigrated to America. He died in 1718 and left five children. Stephen Griffing and his wife, Elizabeth Uhl moved to Warren County in the spring of 1800 and established their home in Thurman. They had 11 children. (No: The Griffing genealogy book is considered one of the most important works available of early Warren County history and is valued by local historians as it contains many facts not recorded elsewhere. In 1988 in Boston, it was my good fortune to buy an even earlier Griffing history written by family member Clara Jeannette Stone.
It is rumored that the Griffings were descended from Llewellyn “Griffith” Llewellyn, the last prince of Wales. Jasper and Hannah Griffing actually had 18 children, but records of only five of them -- Jasper, John, Edward, Robert and Susanna Griffing – survive. Hannah, worn out from childbirth, died in 1699 when she was only 46 years old. Jasper died in 1718 when he was 70.
Grace Merrill Magee, who died here in 1979, was the granddaughter of Stephen Griffing II, lumberman, assemblyman and Warrensburgh hotel owner, whose former home became in recent years the Merrill Magee House, and later the Griffin House Restaurant, now closed.)
Senator Emerson buys cottage
Senator James A. Emerson of Warrensburgh, will donate the most of his time this summer to his Leland Hotel property at Schroon Lake. He has bought the Taylor property adjoining the Leland House and will fit up a cottage there for the occupancy of himself and family. Schroon Lake has for many years been called “A Little Paradise,” and glimmered in the moonlight just down the hill from the Leland House. (Note: The Leland House burned in a spectacular fire Dec. 14, 1938. The Sagamore Hotel at Bolton Landing had burned only a few weeks earlier. It was the end of a golden era, a time when a terrible war was bearing down upon our nation.)
Joseph A. Aiken has been granted a divorce from Bertha McElroy Aiken by Supreme Court Justice Charles C. VanKirk. The couple was married in Warrensburgh in 1907. They have no children. Mr. Aiken is still a resident of Warrensburgh but Mrs. Aiken has been employed in Glens Falls for several years.
The Sherman House at Moriah, the property of John R. Carson, which was burned to the ground in August 1910, is to be rebuilt. Lumber for the new building is being drawn to the site.
Charles Remington of Chestertown, drove to Warrensburgh and found that there was enough wind to fly a kite on Spruce Mountain. Charles Glassbrook was obliged to go to Warrensburgh with a cutter Feb. 27, 1912 in order to get the mail through the snow drifts.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at: email@example.com or: 623-2210.