For 21 years around the turn of the 20th century, this building was the headquarters of the Glens Falls Insurance Co. on the east side of Glen St. north of Bay St. The photograph shows it raised from its foundation in 1912, ready to be moved across Glen St. to become a Masonic temple. In subsequent years, it was incorporated into the Episcopal Church campus. The ‘new’ insurance building built on the east side of the road was demolished in the 1970, replaced by Glens Falls’ sole ‘skyscraper.’
Severe weather strikes area
We are having good winter weather with plenty of snow and cold. The mercury registered 32 degrees below zero Sunday morning, Feb. 11, 1912, coupled with fierce winds that cut like a knife.
The roads were drifted full and mountain high in places and the drifts were so hard horses could walk on them, only occasionally breaking through. It took foreman Douglas Morehouse of Edwards Hill and a force of men with shovels and a team nearly all day to get to the village of Bakers Mills, a distance of two and a half miles. Many of the crossroads are not yet opened leaving many people stranded.
A teamster in Graphite had his nose badly frozen. Some people have resorted to burning lanterns in their cellars to keep their vegetables from freezing. Water pipes are frozen up and cellars are freezing that have never been known to freeze before.
School chief takes a frigid hike
Professor Franklin F. Gunn of Glens Falls, Superintendent of Schools in the first district of Warren County, came to Warrensburgh Monday morning Feb. 12, 1912 on a professional trip.
Among the schools he desired to visit was the Tollgate School on the Chester Road, about three miles north of the village. Being unable to procure a conveyance of any kind, the livery rigs all being in use at the Masonic funeral in Thurman, he hiked northward at a good swinging gait and “got there” in good time, returning in the same way. A six-mile walk in sub-zero weather evidently has no terrors for Professor Gunn. (Note: The Tollgate building was on the south corner of the intersection of today’s Rte 9 and Rte. 28. My late friend, Ella Sutphin used to live in the old schoolhouse.)
Accident could prove fatal
Mrs. H. Truax of Bolton Landing is suffering from severe burns as the result of an accident which occurred at her home Saturday night, Feb. 10, 1912. A lighted lamp sitting on a table was overturned and falling to the floor spread kerosene oil about the carpet. The oil ignited and set fire to the woman’s clothes. She was quickly enveloped in flames and before her clothing could be removed or the fire extinguished she was seriously burned. She is in critical condition.
Fish hatchery to be built here
The bill introduced by Senator James A. Emerson on Jan. 24, 1912, in the upper house of the state legislature, providing for the establishment of a state fish hatchery in Warrensburgh was read twice and ordered printed after which it will be committed to the committee on finance. The sum of $20,000 or whatever amount needed is to be put aside for this purpose. This has been a pet project of Senator Emerson for quite some time.
Sudden death for young man
Fred Johnson, 25, a former resident of North Creek, died suddenly of heart disease the night of Jan. 29, 1912 at his home in Albany. He was the son of Thomas S. Johnson and was born and raised in North Creek.
He had carried a scuttle of coal from the cellar and reached the top of the stairs when he fell to the floor and expired.
Mr. Johnson was a man of much promise. He was a graduate of the Albany College of Pharmacy and manager of a large drug store in the capital city. He leaves a widow and two children.
Mystery disease strikes horses
From some sections of the state come reports that an unknown disease is causing the death of many horses, mostly those fed straw. The animals die within three or four days after being stricken and veterinaries are unable to find a cure. (Note: It’s an odd coincidence that today, 100 years later, another mystery disease, Pasteurella, an unusual bacterial illness, has been advancing into the Adirondack deer population.)
Since 1909 the town of Queensbury has employed officers to patrol the Lake George Road to control fast driving by motorists. More than 50 percent of the drivers are exceeding the 20 miles per hour limit. Warnings are being issued and some arrests are being made.
The Rev. C.H. Mead has been holding revival meetings at Stony Creek for the past few weeks. The Rev. H.F. Titus of Warrensburgh preached there one night recently.
James Swan of Chester, while cutting wood at his home near Darrowsville, fell and broke his breast bone, sustaining serious injuries.
Myron Allen, who has been laid up for several weeks as the result of an accident at the paper mill in Burnhamville, Warrensburgh, in which one of his feet was seriously injured, is finally able to be up and out again.
Albert Beswick, the young son of Leonard Beswick of West Bolton, cut off the first finger of his left hand at the second joint in a feed cutter. Dr. Goodman of Warrensburgh dressed the wound.
Darius Bennett, 59, died Jan. 27, 1912 at his home on The Glen Road. He was a widower. John Kleg, 75, a German, died Jan. 28, 1912 at the Warrensburgh County Home. Henry Lawrence of Johnsburgh died Feb. 6, 1912 of pneumonia. Burial was in the Bates Cemetery.
Melvin Baker of Darrowsville, Chestertown has installed a telephone in his house.
A complete line of stylish Hudson ladies’ Lynx, coney, opossum, skunk, jap mink, fox and black wolf fur coats are on sale at Goodman’s store in Glens Falls at $5 to $25. Seal muffs are 50 cents.
Every Adirondack town has its legends and ghost stories. One of the most interesting and time honored tales told in early Warrensburgh history is that of an old resident who was driving his team of horses over the former bridge over the Schroon River at the south end of town, where Rte. 9 now makes its crossing.
It was springtime and the water was high, but had not yet gone over the bridge. A witness told one morning of seeing the man in the driver’s seat the night before go over the bridge and into the river with his horses and wagon.
A thorough search was made by town residents from the bridge all along the Schroon River to the confluence with the Hudson River at Thurman. No trace of the man, his horses or his wagon were ever found.
City constantly changing
Glens Falls has been a city since March 13, 1908 and has been expanding ever since.
The Masonic fraternity of Glens Falls will acquire the present building of the Glens Falls Insurance Company on Monument Square, and will move it intact to a lot nearby to make way for the insurance company’s new five-story building which will start construction on the corner of Glen and Bay streets in March, 1912. A New York contractor will move the building at an estimated expense of $10,000. The lot will cost $16,000. (Note: The story of this proposed extensive new building was told in this column, Jan. 14, 2012.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.