Man killed in ditch cave-in
Lawrence Murdock, 37, of Warrensburgh met a horrible death at about 11 o’clock forenoon Nov. 13, 1911 when he was in a ditch about seven feet deep on the lawn of the Lewis Thomson estate on Main St. Murdock was stooping in the ditch connecting a pipe when a ton of dirt suddenly caved in covering and crushing the life out of him.
Murdock and three other men were laying a sewer pipe on the Thomson property and the other men were working nearby when with no warning the earth caved in from both sides and he could make no outcry. When fellow workers heard the rumble and saw the covered ditch, they knew what had happened and dug frantically.
It was 15 minutes before they could reach Murdock and when his body was brought to the surface, they found his life to be extent. There was no hope of resuscitation. Dr. J.M. Griffin felt that death must have come almost instantaneously from suffocation as there were no bruises on the body or any sign of a struggle.
The body was taken to the home of Lindsey Murdock, brother of the deceased, with whom he resided on the old Dr. Howard place, a mile north of the village. He is survived by three brothers, Lewis, Henry and George Murdock and one sister, Mrs. Everett Williams.
Murdock was a faithful member of the Baptist Church. He was converted during a series of revival meetings last winter.
(Note: The Lewis Thomson estate at 3921 Main St. is today the Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast, owned by Doug and Louise Goettsche. Dr. Eliakim W. Howard moved to Warrensburgh in April 1837 from Fort Anne and lived in an old farmhouse a mile north of Warrensburgh. In 1840 he built the house now owned by Peter Haggerty at 3820 Main St. An Italian villa style home was later built next door for his son, Dr. Daniel B. Howard, who graduated from Albany Medical College in 1865, when he came home to Warrensburgh to be a partner in his father’s medical practice. Today that house at 3822 Main St. is Seasons Bed & Breakfast, owned by Eileen Frasier.)
Queasy stomach, broken jaw
While passing in front of Haskell Brothers’ Hudson Street grocery store on Oct. 27, 1911, the 18- year-old son of C.S. Woodward of Warrensburgh fainted and fell to the pavement, cutting a deep gash in his chin and fracturing his jaw bone. Dr. Griffin was called and with much difficulty restored the youth to consciousness.
Previously, young Woodward had listened to a discussion of surgical feats in Manzer & Hill’s barber shop and his stomach was not in the best of condition. He did not relish the conversation and feeling himself growing faint, he started for his home and had gone but a short distance when the accident occurred.
At present the patient is unable to use his jaw and is compelled to take nourishment through a tube.
Herrick’s store had long history
Herrick’s store at 75 River Street, sold last Saturday at Warren County tax foreclosure auction, has a colorful history.
The Herrick ancestors settled in Warrensburgh shortly after the Revolutionary War. According to Marie Fisher, a member of the Herrick family and a native of Warrensburgh, the date the building was erected is not known, but in 1871 it was a livery stable operated by Bennett and Palmer. Marie wrote in her book, “North from the Plank Road Bridge,” that the structure suffered many fires over the years which probably accounts for the present day flat roof which originally was peaked.
In 1893, brothers Simeon and James Herrick purchased the building and carried on a wagon-building trade and carriage repair shop. In 1896 the brothers converted the upper story into living quarters for their families. The property was later owned by the Herrick family for several generations. As the horse and carriage era drifted away and became obsolete, the Herrick brothers gradually converted to wallpaper, paint, hardware and custom picture-framing and as World War II came on, groceries were added and rapidly became the main commodity. The store was called “Herrick’s Variety Store.“ Simeon died in 1934 and before his death, he was a carpenter. James, 88 years old, died in 1953. He was a merchant for 50 years. His wife, Cora died in 1961. During James’ later years, his sons took over active management of the business.
Marie Fisher and her sister Norma Turpin are the daughters of Earl J. Herrick, eldest son of James Herrick. Mr. Herrick worked in the store with his father in the 1930s until some time after World War II. He was for many years Justice of the Peace and town clerk — right up to the time of his death. He loved Warrensburgh and was very knowledgeable about town history. He carried on the family tradition of being a merchant for many years. Eventually Earl’s younger brother, Floyd Herrick took over the store and after his death in the 1960s, Floyd’s widow carried on for a few years.
For a time, in the 1980s, “Dickie” Maxam, a Herrick son-in-law, ran the store and deli. In September 2006 the building was bought by Charles Vreugde of Queensbury in the hope of starting a second-hand store.
With a new owner, however, commercial activity may again flourish in the historic building.
Older residents in Warrensburgh forecast that a hard and long winter is on the way. This prediction is based on the fact that for weeks red squirrels and chipmunks have been busy laying in the winter food store, even going to the extent of collecting green burrs, breaking them open and hiding the unripe nuts for future use.
Hunters in the vicinity of Big Tupper Lake report numerous wild boars running at large. The animals are vicious and ready for a scrap.
The total voter enrollment in the town of Warrensburgh is 807 this year and 844 last year in 1910, a falling off of 37 voters.
Contact correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.