Photo of the albino deer, shot in 1907
‘Bear Waller’ Club boys
The “Bear Waller” Club, composed of Warrensburgh’s mightiest nimrods, started for the tall timber on Oct. 20, 1911, leaving by automobile as early as Counselor Lewis E. Crandall could be routed from his bed. They established their camp at Sawyer’s clearing on the Sacandaga River and will remain there until the close of the deer hunting season on Oct. 31, 1911. It was agreed upon that the woods are full of deer and their capture is comparatively easy if a man just knows how to shoot straight.
This will be their third annual expedition, “Big Chief” Herb Smith will lead the party to the lair of the weary deer. E. C, Manzer will fill his old position as “Little Chief” and Counselor Crandall will again have charge of the “grub list” and the larder will be well supplied. Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Wescott will preside over the culinary department.
Other hunters on the trip will be Dr. W.F. Wilkinson, Dr. James E. Goodman, Barry W. Woodward, William Condon, Orley Magee, Charles Green, James Guyette, Clarence Russell, Herbert C. Smith and Clyde Ross.
Note: The prestigious Bear Waller Club was organized in 1909 by Warrensburgh barber Ernest C. “Kid” Manzer and was probably the most popular and best known hunting club in this part of the Adirondacks. For many years each fall the “Bear Wallers” pitched tents in the Oregon section of the Town of Johnsburgh for the annual hunting season. The “Kid” was best known for the white albino deer that he shot in 1907, a rare specimen seldom if ever seen.
After he originally moved here from England, his first shop was on the second floor of the Crystal Pharmacy which stood for many years near the sidewalk at the north end of the present day IGA store parking lot, before it later burned. He also had a shop at one time on the corner of Main Street and Adirondack Avenue, a little building called Trilby Cottage on the lawn in front of today’s Rite Aid pharmacy. Manzer conducted a barber shop in Warrensburgh for 52 years before he retired in 1938. He married Eva Knickerbocker in 1898 at the Methodist parsonage.
Just one hundred years ago, September, 1911, Manzer bought E.A. Moore’s residence property on Upper Main Street and moved in as soon as many necessary repairs were made and the tenant, Philo Reynolds had moved his family out and into Selah Reynolds’ house on King Street Addition.
Kid Manzer in his later years was a steady golf player at the Queen Village Club course where he won several trophies. He was also a loyal and steadfast member of the Odd Fellows’ Lodge. Kid was 85 years old when he died in March of 1958 at the home of his nephew in Essex Junction, Vermont and he was buried here on the new west side of the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
In honor of Kid Manzer and the other eager Bear Waller hunters who took such delight in pursuing fleet footed deer at the turn of the century, there will be a special exhibit at the Warrensburgh Museum of Local History starting on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2011 with many great photos and artifacts from that era, centered around hunting and the club.
Barber shop debate
The current topic of discussion among the customers and those who just like to hang out at Kid Manzers barber shop is quite a brain twister. The heavy question being debated concerns an old man of fifty and a young man of twenty-eight, both widowers. The young man has a step-daughter of thirty-eight years old that he married to the older gentleman and in return takes the old man’s daughter for a wife. The question is, what relation are these four people to each other? There are many opinions but an answer has not as of yet been satisfactory decided upon.
Odd Fellows crack down on vice
Hotel-keepers holding saloon licenses are barred from the Odd Fellows’ order by action taken at the meeting of the Sovereign Grand Lodge in session in Indianapolis in October, 1911. Saloon keepers have been barred for some time. The new order affecting hotel men applies only to the future applicants for membership. A resolution was also adopted prohibiting smoking in the lodge rooms during sessions.
Pretty autumn weddings
Exactly at noon, Oct. 11, 1911, Miss Charlotte Bowyer and Ralph A. Vetter, son of Fred Vetter, were united in marriage by the Rev. J.M. Corum at the home of ex-Sheriff and Mrs. William W. Bowyer in Chestertown. The bride wore a beautiful gown of silk marquisette over white satin, trimmed with baby Irish lace and she carried a shower bouquet of bride’s roses. Attendant Miss Sarah Bowyer, sister of the bride, was gowned in white voile. Louis Potter was best man. After an automobile trip through the Adirondacks, the couple will reside in Chestertown.
In other news, James Riley of Hudson Falls and Miss Jennie Russell, daughter of M. Russell of Lake George, were married Oct. 25, 1911 at the Baptist Church in Glens Falls. Miss Marion Cowlbeck was maid of honor and Hugh Russell was best man.
Good fortune comes from afar
E. Lyndale Whitby, Esq., who died recently at his home in Voevil, England, left behind a fortune of $150,000 which, according to his will, is to be divided among his five children. Oliver R. Whitby of Glens Falls, formerly of Warrensburgh, is the eldest son and R.J. Whitby, also of Glens Falls and a former resident of Warrensburgh, is a brother of the deceased.
Hotel changes hands
Elmer S. Dunlap, formerly proprietor of the Dunlap Hotel at North River, which was destroyed by fire on March 17, 1909, has leased the Wevertown Hotel for five years with the privilege of buying it at any time during that period. Mr. Dunlap assumed the management of the house on Oct. 1, 1911 and is in the process of having it thoroughly overhauled and refurnished. He has been a landlord for some twenty years and knows how to please the traveling public.
North Thurman news
Mr. Peadore, a young gentleman from the city who is boarding with Mrs. Helen Potter at The Glen, got lost in the woods on Portridge Mountain on Sunday afternoon, but finally found his way out near Thurman.
T.H. Barber bought a horse, harness and wagon from Charley Baker of Bakers Mills. John Pelletier is repairing his saw mill. He has about 500 markets of pine logs to saw this winter. Edward Barber is helping him with the repairs. Thomas Brannon has secured employment with his team on the state road in Athol. Mrs. William A. Potter is ill with quinsy. (Note…Quinsy is an inflammation of the tonsils.)
The local milk dealers on Monday morning, Oct. 2, 1911 raised their price from six cents to seven cents a quart.
The lower Adirondacks were covered with a light dusting of snow on Friday morning, Sept. 29, 1911, the earliest snow in this section in many years. On Oct. 8, 1911 they had a great feast of sugar on snow at Edson Kathan’s house in Sodom after six inches fell two days earlier.
Elwyn Tripp has completed the required ten week’s course at Moler’s barber school in New York City and graduated with honors, receiving a diploma. He has returned to Warrensburgh and is looking for a good place to set up shop.
Contact correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.