Motorcar hits youth in transit
Albert Winslow of Luzerne and a companion were riding along the Corinth Road in a farm wagon. The boy jumped from his seat into the path of the automobile of R.J. Linehan of Glens Falls. He was struck by the machine and rendered unconscious.
Mr. Linehan was traveling along behind the wagon at a rate of about 15 miles an hour and had twice blown his horn in warning that he was about to pass. Young Winslow leaped from the wagon when the automobile was about 10 feet away. The unconscious boy was placed in Linehan’s automobile and taken to Glens Falls Hospital where it was found that he had no broken bones.
Hotel builder succumbs
Frank Jalet, 37, a native of Whitehall, died suddenly of heart disease Oct. 31, 1911. He had taken two ladies out in his automobile to inspect some real estate property for sale and he stepped out of the machine to assist them when he reeled and fell to the ground unconscious. He was dead before a physician arrived. His remains were taken to Whitehall for burial.
Mr. Jalet was formerly a carpenter and contractor. About 1896 he and his father, the late John Jalet of Whitehall, built the new Adirondack Hotel in Warrensburgh. (Note: This big hotel, later called Colonial Arms, stood where Rite Aid stands today. The pharmacy’s facade has a few cues of the original hotel’s architecture.)
Crosby family member dies
William H. Wyman of Omaha, Nebraska, died in that city Oct. 7, 1911. He was born in Canton, N.Y. and leaves a widow, the former Miss Maude Crosby of Lake George, who is the only surviving member of the family of Francis G. Crosby, once proprietor of the Crosbyside Hotel and one of the most highly respected citizens of Lake George. Mr. Wyman had been in the business of fire insurance since 1854, associated with Aetna Insurance.
(Note: For many years this couple had lived in Winona, Minn., with Mrs. Wyman’s sister, Miss Louise Crosby who died in 1910. She was a native of Lake George and her body was brought back there to be buried in the family plot in the village cemetery. The Crosbyside Hotel was originally called the Lake George Young Ladies’ Institute in 1855 before it was later renamed The United States Hotel. It stood at the head of Lake George and accommodated 200 guests. The hotel even had its own stage which picked up guests at the railroad station in Glens Falls. The building was destroyed in 1901 by fire. In 1903, buildings at the site were deeded to Mary Fuller,who founded Wiawaka House, a retreat for women, including those employed in the garment industry in the Troy region. Today, it is known as the oldest continuously operating women’s retreat in the U.S.)
Ate some, brought some home
A party of six consisting of J.H. and W.C. Roberts, J.F. Beckwith, Leslie and Julius Tripp — all of Warrensburgh — and Melvin Baker of Darrowsville, Chestertown, returned from the Sam Hayes flow in Hamilton County, bringing with them six deer, having eaten one in camp, making seven they captured. They were at camp for a week with James Middleton employed as a guide. While they were in the woods, six inches of snow fell.
Panther’s whiskers singed twice
Hotel Carson at Schroon River in the town of North Hudson was destroyed by fire on Oct. 12, 1911. It stood on the site of Root’s Hotel, once conducted by Edward Owens of Warrensburgh and burned in the 1890’s.
A mounted panther adorned the office of the old Root Hotel and also that of Hotel Carson. Curiously enough, this panther was saved from fire in both buildings by Samuel Duntley of North Hudson. It is the largest mounted specimen of a panther in the Adirondacks, if not in the state. (Note: Is it possible that the mounted panther is still in the area? If you have any information, call me.)
Death in the news
Leonard Winslow, 75, died at his home Oct. 1, 1911 in Stony Creek where he had lived for more than 50 years, having moved there from West Mountain. He is survived by his widow, the former Miss Harris, plus five daughters and two sons.
Mrs. Tillie Ricket of Newcomb, died Saturday afternoon, Oct. 7, 1911 of tuberculosis. She was buried in Schroon Lake beside her husband and infant child.
William A. Potter, 63, died Oct. 11, 1911 after a long illness of pulmonary trouble at his home in Pottertown, a hamlet on The Glen road. He leaves two sons, Orley and John Potter of Warrensburgh and one daughter, Mrs. Harry Bartlett of Chestertown. Rev. H.F. Titus officiated at the funeral which was held at the home of the deceased.
Charles S. Leggett, 65, died Thursday, Oct. 19, 1911 at his home in Chestertown. He leaves a widow, Two sons, Clark H. and Arthur Leggett and three daughters, Katherine and Helen Leggett and Mrs. Bert Starbuck, all of Chestertown. The funeral was held from the deceased’s late residence. (Note: Charles S. Leggett was born in 1846 and around that time the Leggett Homestead on state Rte. 9, south of Chestertown which still stands today, served as a way station on the Underground Railway as an aid to the Anti-Slavery movement.)
Early taste of winter
The recent rains have made it difficult for farmers to secure their buckwheat crop. The first snow storm of the season came Oct. 6, 1911 and about six inches fell hereabouts doing great damage to trees. Limbs on good sound maple trees were broken down by the load of snow at several places along the highway and it was impossible to drive or walk in the road owing to the overhanging boughs with their load of snow, hanging down or broken off. The snow nearly destroyed the shade trees in T.H. Smith’s yard in Athol.
It looks like a very hard winter coming for many people as few crops were raised by farmers because of the long summer drought.
A big crowd of boys “cut loose” Tuesday night, Oct. 31, 1911 and celebrated Halloween in Warrensburgh with the usual pranks. About everything that was not nailed down was moved hither and yon.
Mr. Crandall was badly hurt at Steve’s Sawmill in Luzerne. He lost all of the fingers on his right hand and part of one heel.
Harrison Needham caught his right hand between the rollers of a paper machine at the Schroon River Pulp and Paper Co. plant at Burnhamville, Warrensburgh, crushing two fingers.
John Carroll, charged with third-degree Burglary for breaking into the Thurman railroad station, was arraigned and pled guilty. His sentence was suspended and he was put on probation.
Roscoe Hadden will give up his position in Warrensburgh as driver of T.J. Smith & Son’s delivery wagon on Oct. 7, 1911 and after a ten-day hunting trip will go to New York city to take a ten week’s course of instruction in Moler’s barber school.
Carter Pasco has sold his grain business and will retire. John H. Pasco is seriously ill with liver and kidney trouble at his home on River Street, Warrensburgh. Allie Pasco of Athol lost a fine horse.
Thomas Jones died at his home Oct. 26, 1911 in Wevertown and was buried in the local cemetery there.
A son, Lawrence Daniel Burch was born to Mrs. Albert Burch at Riverbank.
Frank Hewitt and Fred Moses each shot a deer within a few rods of their homes in Johnsburgh Corners. Hunters report that they are very plentiful this year and quite tame.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.