Found hanging in his jail cell
Daniel Reardon, of Glens Falls, 65, a veteran of the Civil War, committed suicide the night of Oct. 3, 1911 by hanging himself in a cell at police headquarters in that city, where he had been placed pending an examination as to his sanity.
Mr. Reardon was employed as a street sweeper by the city and for some time his friends had noticed in him symptoms of mental derangement. At noon he became rather violent at his home on Cooper St. and an officer was summoned to quiet him. Later in the afternoon the man began beating his wife and neighbors went to her rescue.
Reardon then went to an upper room and securing a razor began slashing his throat in an attempt to end his life. He succeeded in cutting a long but not fatal gash. Summoned were an officer and Dr. Dever, who dressed the wound. He was then taken to the city jail where he ripped the bandages from his neck which he said itched severely. He told his jailer, “I would rather die than go to court.”
When the door of the cell was later opened, police were horrified to find the prisoner’s lifeless body hanging from one corner of the cage where he had taken the bandage covering his wound and tied it around his neck, fashioning the other end to the iron grating of the cage. Stepping back a distance, he threw his whole weight upon his neck. The shock was so great that he died less than half an hour later. He leaves a widow and two daughters.
Mad bull, broken leg
C.A. Dewey, a farmhand on the Coolidge farm in Queensbury, lies in critical condition at his home as a result of an attack by a savage bull which he was leading to water.
The animal got away from Dewey and charged upon him, knocking him to the ground and trampling upon him. The bull had been dehorned a short time before; otherwise, Dewey would have been killed. One of his legs was broken and his back was injured. The man is unable to get out of his bed and is under the care of Dr. C.A. Horton.
Bad day in the woods
Adolphus Seymour of Tupper Lake is congratulating himself that he is alive to tell the story because someone shot at a dead deer that he was carrying on his shoulder with a powerful magazine rifle from less than 40 feet away as he was walking out of the woods with his prize.
Politics heat up in Warrensburgh
The Warren County Democratic Convention has been called for Oct. 2, 1911 at the Warren House in Warrensburgh for the purpose of nominating a candidate for member of the state Assembly and Superintendent of the Poor and Coroner. Democratic delegates from the “Queen Village” of Warrensburgh are Thomas J. Smith, Carl Brown, George Washington Farrar, Robert Cunningham and A.T. Crandall. Delegates from Thurman are Thomas G. Goodman, Charles Olds, James Goodman, Herbert Ingraham and George Bowen. (Note: The Warren House was the next door south of the present-day New Way Lunch, formerly Potter’s Diner.)
The Republicans of Warren County, represented by delegates from the various towns, assembled in convention Sept. 28, 1911 at the Music Hall, enthusiastically endorsed their representatives for county government. (Note: the Music Hall was on the corner of Main St. and Adirondack Avenue, across from the present-day Rite Aid pharmacy.)
Death in the news
Miss Mary J. Hoyt, 67, died Sept. 19, 1911 at the home of her sister, Mrs. Edward Blanchard in Chestertown. Internment was in the Leggett Cemetery.
John W. Potter, 84, an old resident of Bolton and a veteran of the Civil War, died at his home Sept. 24, 1911. Born in Wilton, he lived in Bolton for 30 years.
Melvin Lanfair of Bolton and Miss Grace Wood of Warrensburgh were married by Rev. H.F. Titus the evening of Sept. 20, 1911 at the home of the bride’s father, Warren Wood.
Stephen Moon of Glens Falls and Mrs. Hattie Belle Jones of Warrensburgh were married by the Rev. H.F. Titus at the home of the bride in Lewisville, River St.
John E. Priest and Miss Kittie J. Dunn, both of Wevertown were married by the Rev. William S. Mulholland the evening of Sept. 24, 1911 at the home of Mrs. Sallie J. Dunn.
John A. Murphy and Miss Mary E. Foley of Riverside were quietly married by the Rev. J.T. Meaney Wednesday, Sept. 27, 1911 at St. Paul’s Church.
Rev. Frank Finkle of Pottersville and Miss Ella Slack of Speculator were married Oct. 4, 1911 at the home of H.B. Slack, the bride’s father. Mr. Finkle was formerly stationed at Wells but is now the pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Pottersville.
News near and far
Lundahl’s “Crucifixion,” one of the most famous paintings on the death of Christ, was placed on exhibition Oct. 3, 1911 on the third floor of the Boston Store in Glens Falls. It measures 9 by 14 feet and it is valued at $100,000.
Richards Library in Warrensburgh will be closed until further notice while changes are being made in the interior arrangements on account of the completion of the addition which has been under construction during this past summer.
The Chester village school opened Sept. 18, 1911 with Miss Phelan as principal. Miss Young is in charge of the 7th and 8th grades, Miss Ella Potter in the 4th, 5th and 6th, and Miss Rosslyn Foster in the primary grade.
Mortimer Kelly, general manager of the Fort William Henry and the Champlain hotels, has arrived at Lake George and will spend the winter in charge of the hotel. George Valiquette, who has been manager of the hotel this past summer, has returned to New York City for the winter.
Walter Shearer and wife, of Albany, who spent the summer in Warrensburgh occupying rooms in Miss Noxon’s house on Main St. returned to the city Sept. 23, 1911. Shearer is chauffeur for Dr. Cyrus S. Merrill. (Note: Dr. Merrill and his daughter, Grace Merrill owned the summer home now known as Grace’s Pub. It was purchased in 1839 and enlarged by Stephen Griffing II, the father of Dr. Merrill’s deceased wife Mary Merrill.)