A fire of unknown origin broke out in the village of Schroon Lake about 4 a.m. Sunday morning, Aug. 13, 1911 and destroyed the Drake apartment house, burned part of Taylor’s harness shop and slightly damaged the Ondawa Hotel. The blaze was discovered in the basement of the Drake house by a son of one of the occupants and an alarm was quickly given. The residents and summer guests formed a bucket brigade, bringing water from the lake 100 yards away, but the fire had gained such headway that the contents of the building could not be saved. The flames crossed the street and scorched the Ondawa Hotel, burning the awnings and breaking the windows. The total damage is estimated at $10,000.
The Herbert Boland family occupied part of the Drake house and they lost all their possessions. Mr. Boland was a former prescription clerk in B.F. Hammond’s Crystal Drug Store in Warrensburgh.
In other news, C.E. Ingraham’s bottling works at Bolton Landing, near the Sagamore Hotel, were destroyed Saturday night Aug. 12, 1911 by a fire of mysterious origin. There was a loss of $2,500 with no insurance.
Automobile kills child
While playing with five companions on the state road at Miller Hill near Glens Falls early morning Aug. 22, 1911, Warren Lee Bennett, 14, was struck by an automobile and so badly injured that he died at 8 a.m. The machine was driven by its owner, Patrick O’Grady of Glens Falls, accompanied by Mrs. O’Grady and James Kiley and wife. The machine was running about 10 miles an hour and was passing another auto which young Bennett was trying to avoid when he became confused and ran in front of the O’Grady car.
Cottage at Plum Point
On July 30, 1911, Alfred E. Davidson of New York City has bought a simple fishing camp on the East Side of Lake George below Plum Point. He and his first wife, Maria were natives of Great Village, Nova Scotia, Canada. She died of tuberculosis in a sanatorium in the Adirondacks. In previous summers he has sent their five children with an aunt to a boarding house in Whitehall.
“A.E.” works in Nova Scotia for a lumber company. His second wife, Leilia was the widow of a Nova Scotia sea captain. He bought the Lake George camp for her and his children. (Note: Eventually A.E.’s brother, Henry Davidson came from Nova Scotia and bought the neighboring camp on the lake shore. This summer in 2011 there were plans for 90 family members to gather at the expanded cottage to celebrate the family’s connection to the lake and to look forward together to the next 100 years. )
Prominent druggist dies
Louis Charette, 60, died at 2 a.m. July 29, 1911 at his home on Main St., Warrensburgh. He suffered a paralytic stroke eight years ago and a second one three years later. Since that time he has been unable to speak and was almost helpless while being confined to his house.
Charette was born in the town of Bolton, May 5, 1851 and was the second son of Dr. “Louie” Charette, who for many years was one of the most prominent physicians and surgeons of Warrensburgh.
Dr. Charette was born in June of 1820 in the Northwest Territory at Leech Lake, Minnesota. In the fall of 1841 he graduated from Albany Medical College and began his practice in Bolton where in 1842 he married Miss Margaret Smith. In 1850 Dr. Charette was supervisor and town clerk in Bolton. In 1854 he moved his family and practice to Warrensburgh where he later became coroner.
Charette was the only surviving member of his family as his older brother, George died in 1862 from his wounds sustained in the Civil War. Louis was a graduate of the prestigious old Warrensburgh Academy and afterward attended the Albany Medical College for two years. In 1873 he established a drug store in the “upper village” of Warrensburgh and conducted it for several years until he eventually sold out in 1879 to George W. Dickinson. On Feb. 10, 1876 he married Julia Dickinson who survives him.
Before his second stroke, he made all arrangements for his funeral which will be conducted according to his wishes. Louis Charette will be buried in the family plot on the east side of the old Warrensburgh Cemetery. (Note: The Charette home was on upper Main St. where Judge Nisson now resides.
The hometown heros of the baseball game played on the Warrensburgh Fairgrounds Saturday afternoon, Aug. 12, 1911 mixed with the common people at the dance that evening at Music Hall and all the pretty girls were there to greet them. Martine’s Orchestra came from Glens Falls to make dance music. Admission was 25 cents.
At the recent regents’ examinations held at the Warrensburgh School, Beatrice Reynolds, Earl McBride and Bertie Whittemore all received a perfect score of 100 in Algebra.
A daughter was born Aug. 20, 1911 to Mr. and Mrs. Wilbert Herbert of Glens Falls. Mrs. Herbert is the former Miss Delia Lucia of Warrensburgh.
Wallace Baker is putting a slate roof on his tenement house on River St. and Bert Hill is in charge of the work.
Edward Wall, superintendent of the Warrensburgh Woolen Mill on Milton Avenue, has leased C.H. Wood’s house adjoining the Baptist Church known locally as the Weinman cottage. He will move his family there from Fort Ann. The W.S. Safford family moved from there recently into the Rothschild house on King St. owned by Thomas and Reoux.
Inman Cahill left Sunday, Aug. 13, 1911 for Indianapolis, Indiana where he will join Bernis Combs and they will be employed as hand-ironers in a large shirt factory there.
With a big cotton crop, a big wheat crop, a big corn crop and big peach and apple crops in prospect, we can be charitable to those who fear the chestnut crop will be spoiled by too early a frost.
George Montgomery of Wevertown, who was seriously injured by falling from his hay wagon and striking his side on the end of a pitchfork handle, is slowly recovering.
Lee A. Baker of North Thurman has gone to Warrensburgh to work on Milton Avenue for the pants factory. A son, Gordon Sanford Kenyon has been born at the home of Birtle S. Kenyon. S.C. Johnson of North Thurman finished haying on Aug. 12, 1911. He has all his barns full.
A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Berlin Plumley of Minerva. She died Friday morning, Aug. 11, 1911.
George Scofield of Stony Creek has purchased a new piano. David Austin of Igerna died Aug. 2, 1911. Charles Wheeler of Hague has been ill with a stroke of apoplexy. Miss Pearl Wheeler of West Bolton was operated upon for appendicitis at Albany Hospital.
In Hague, Dr. Jones of Ticonderoga was in town on Saturday, July 29, 1911 to see Nelson Porter’s horse which is quite sick.
Owen Lamphere and Miss Hazel McCune, both of Indian Lake, were married in that place Aug. 8, 1911 at the home of George McCune, the bride’s father.