Thrilling rescue on Lake George
A motorboat owned and operated by Edgar Bowne, a summer cottager at Dunham’s Bay, Lake George, caught fire from gasoline in the bottom of the boat and burned to the water’s edge.
Mr. Bowne and three ladies were in the boat when Ralph Shaw, who was passing by in his motor boat, noticed smoke issuing from the launch. He rushed his boat to the side of the burning craft and rescued the party. These people had not more than left their boat when the fire spread to the bow of the craft and the entire hull burst into flames. Mr. Bowne is from Flushing, L.I.
Praising the Lord can be costly
The revival gathering to be held Aug. 16, 1911 in Nature’s Temple, at beautiful Riverside Grove at Riverside, on the bank of the sparkling Hudson, is getting a lot of attention. A special train will run from the Warrensburgh Station to the site, which is near the Troy Methodist Episcopal Conference.
Admission for the entire affair will be 15 cents per person, children under twelve, 10 cents and children under eight are free.
Good board and lodging are available on the grounds for $7 per week or $1.50 per day, single meals are 40 cents, five meal tickets are $1.75. Horses will be kept on the grounds at reasonable rates.
Richards Library celebration
Richards Free Library in Warrensburgh celebrated its 10th anniversary on Aug. 13, 1911 and passed its first decade of usefulness in this community.
Starting with a modest 200 or 300 volumes housed in the parish rooms of the Church of the Holy Cross, the library now has on the shelves of its own magnificent stone building g on Elm Street, featuring 4,860 volumes of selected books, representing all fields of literature.
The current expenses of the library for the year amounted to $1,076 and this entire amount was paid by the founders, Miss Clara Richards and her sister, Mrs. Mary Richards Kellogg. There is now in course of construction an addition to the building which will practically double its capacity.
(Note…Clara and Mary Richards were the children of Mary P. Burhans and General Samuel T. Richards who died in 1864 in the Civil War. Their home was at The Elms, now called The Pillars. The girls’ grandfather, Colonel Benjamin Peck Burhans, was the man who came from Ulster County and brought industry and prosperity to Warrensburgh in 1836 with his leather industry.
Building and expansion was going on at the Richards Library 100 years ago just as it is going on today — although the contemporary work seems to be stalled.
Deaths in the news
James Haley, 59, a former resident of Warrensburgh, died Aug. 10, 1911 at his home in Corinth of hemorrhage of the throat. He had been an invalid for about a year. He leaves a widow, Julia (Collins) Haley, one son and a daughter, Henry and Nellie Haley, all residing at home.
The deceased was one of eight children, a graduate of the old Warrensburgh Academy and at one time one of the leading merchants of Warrensburgh, conducting a general store in the building now occupied by John K. Heffron.
The body was taken to North Creek on the morning train for internment in the family plot in St. James Cemetery.
Floyd J. Putney, 19, son of Wallace Putney of Luzerne, died Aug. 4, 1911 at the home of his uncle, Daniel Ross at The Glen of spinal meningitis. His death has caused great sorrow as he died at the very place he was born. The young Putney boy was buried in the Luzerne Cemetery by the side of his mother who died 14 years ago.
Athol residents report activities
Orlin Eldridge is suffering from a bad cut on his knee. Clarence Brown and Clayton V. Kenyon have gone into the woods to perform labor. Will and Leon Cameron are working at Meadowbrook Stock Farm in the Kenyontown area.
Will Harris and Ed Frost are painting the Thurman bridges red, but not in a bad sense. Charles Gillingham, Town Superintendent of Highways, aided by J.W. Cameron and others, re-planked the Thurman end of the river bridge near Thurman Station, improving it very much by putting the planks crosswise instead of lengthwise as before.
Miss Sarah Hadden of Warrensburgh is enjoying two weeks’ vacation here with her sister, Mrs. Rev. Edwin H. Hovey.
Roscoe and Jimmie Birch, Herbert Quinn and Dewey Cameron are haying for Allie Pasco.
There was a new arrival on Aug. 8, 1911 at the home of John D. Cameron, being no less a personage than the sixth daughter and the twelfth child in the family. All are hardy and bright.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.