The Salerno Brothers of Moriah, will make an appearance at The Yankee Sportsman Show Jan. 17 to the 19 in Essex Junction Vermont.
The weather has been very interesting so far! Rain one day, then minus 20 degrees another, and ice, and lots of it, then back to rain and maybe even some snow one day, then back to pouring rain, and then back to freezing and more ice. You can’t get bored when you are chipping ice out of the gutters, spreading salt and sand for grit, and pushing mush out of the drive before the next freeze, which could come at any minute.
If your mind wanders to some white sand beach island off the coast of who cares, its 85 degrees, and you’re standing on the deck of a boat with a fly rod in one hand and an ice cold cocktail in the other fishing for whatever, then we share the same dream.
However, the reality is that I am sitting in the back room looking out my window wondering if I need more tailings to put out in the driveway.
If you need a road trip to thaw out, and stimulate your mind, then take advantage of some of the following sportsman, fishing and gun shows.
The Yankee Sportsman Show Jan. 17 to the 19th in Essex Junction Vermont, will have some local guys showing off there Deer hunting skills. Moriah’s own Salarno Brothers will be on hand to give some pointers on getting a big woods buck. Champlain Valley Expo, Essex Jct., VT
New York Sportsman Shows
• Jan 17-19 NY Syracuse, New York Sportsman’s Show, Oncenter, Friday 12-8pm, Saturday 10am-7pm, Sunday 11am-6pm, For Info Call 888-334-2856 or 315-440-4351 or Visit the Website: http://www.newyorksportsmenshow.com
• Jan. 24-26 NY Syracuse, New York Sportsman’s Expo, New York State Fairgrounds, For Info Call 585-254-2580 x200 Fax 585-458-1511 or email email@example.com Website: www.newyorksportsmansexpo.com
• Jan. 25-26 NY Olean, 5th Annual Olean Sportsman Show, Olean Good Times Plaza (NEW VENUE), 800 East State Street, $3 adults, $2 students & seniors, Greater Olean Chamber of Commerce, For Info Call 716-372-4433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Feb. 27-March 2 NY Suffern, World Fishing & Outdoor Exposition, Rockland Community College, For Info Call 603-431-4315 or email email@example.com Website: sportshows.com
• March 6-9 NY Hamburg/Buffalo, NY WNY Sport & Travel Show, Hamburg Fairgrounds, For Info Contact Tom at 814-725-3856 Fax 814-725-3441 Website: www.sportandtravelexpo.com
New York Gun Shows
• Jan. 25-26 Albany, Empire State Plaza Convention Center, 450 6’ tables Admission $6 seniors $5 Under 12 free w/adult Plenty of parking Guards on duty 24 hours daily. Show Manager: Sandy Ackerman Klinger 607-748-1010 1-6 p.m. Weekdays SyracuseGunshow.com
• Jan. 25-26, Asheville, NY Chautauqua County Sportsman’s Show, Chautauqua Lake Auction Center, 2118 Magnolia Ave, 80 Tables Sat 9-4 Sun 9-3, Adm $5 Children under 12 free, 716-569-6810, www.yorkpennshows.com
• Feb. 9 Sidney, The Sidney Gun & Knife Show at the Elks Club 104 River Street in Sidney, NY. 50 tables, 9-3PM, admission $2 buy-sell-trade Midstate Arms Collectors Sandy Ackerman Klinger 607-748-1010 1-6 p.m. Weekdays
• March 2 Oneonta, Holiday Inn Rte. 23 Southside, 60 tables $15 each buy-sell-trade Adm $2 Midstate Arms Collectors Show Manager: Sandy Ackerman Klinger 607-748-1010 1:00 PM-6 p.m. Weekdays
• April 12-13 NY Syracuse, Center of Progress Bldg., NY State Fairgrounds, 581 State Fairgrounds Drive Show hours open to public Sat 9-5 Sun 9-3 A: $6. Under 12 free w/adult seniors $5, Manager: Sandy Ackerman Klinger 607-748-1010 1-6 p.m. Weekdays SyracuseGunshow.com
The Fly Fishing Museum in Manchester Vermont is having fly tying classes, fly fishing programs and even a fly fishing movie. Manchester is a long drive, but right about now getting out of the four walls of the cabin may be good for you. This is directly from their website;
The American Museum of Fly Fishing will host a series of four fly tying lessons designed to start from the beginning and take you through to some more advanced patterns. Each session will run from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Bring your own kit or use one of ours.
• Jan. 11-Tying for beginners with Yoshi Akiyama
• Jan. 18- Stoneflies with George Butts
• Feb. 1-Fly tying with Paul Sinicki
• Feb. 8-Streamer work shop with Peggy Brenner
• Feb. 15- Fly tying with Kelly Bedford
Fly tying classes are included with the $5 admission fee that day upon museum entrance. Confirm your spot by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the Museum at 802-362-3300.
• Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014 at 10 a.m. the Fly Fishing Museum is hosting the newest Eric Steel movie, “Kiss the Water” at the Village Picture Shows Cinema,263 Depot Street, Manchester Center, VT Tickets on sale at the Cinema or at the Museum!
Vermont Gun Shows
• Jan. 18-19 South Burlington, VT. 05430 Knights of Columbus Hall, 2 Berard Drive www.greenmtgunshowtrail.com
• Feb. 8 - 9, 2014: Barre Fish & Game Club Gun Show
• Saturday Feb. 8, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday Feb. 9, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Admission: Adults $7, Children $1
• Feb. 22-23 White River Jct. VT. 05001 CT Auto Auction BLD, 1567 RT 14, www.greenmtgunshowtrail.com
• March 8-9 Brattleboro, VT. 05301 VFW Hall, 40 Black Mtn. Road www.greenmtgunshowtrail.com
• March 22-23 Rutland, VT. 05701 Franklin Conference Rm @ The Howe, 1 Scale Ave www.greenmtgunshowtrail.com
• April 26-27 Middlebury, VT. 05753 American Legion Hall # 27, 1 Boardman St. www.greenmtgunshowtrail.com
• Sept. 6-7 Rutland, VT. 05701 Franklin Conference Rm @ the Howe, 1 Scale Ave. www.greenmtgunshowtrail.com
• Sept. 27-28 Chester, VT. 05143 American Legion Hall # 67, 637 VT RT 103 www.greenmtgunshowtrail.com
• Nov. 29-30 White River Jct. VT. 05001 CT Auto Auction BLD, 1567 RT 14 www.greenmtgunshowtrail.com
Make sure you take your kids or grandkids to these programs and pass on the hunting, fishing and conservation heritage our constitution grants us!
Rich Redman is a retired District Conservationist for the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service and an avid outdoorsman. His column will appear regularly. He may be reached at email@example.com.